Adding Ethernet Card to PLC5/40

lam2363

All,

At our facility we have a PLC5/40 with a few IO slots and plenty of RIO (Flex IO and 1305 and 1336 drives) we recently acquired a 1785-ENET/B Card with a 10 base T transceiver. I would like to put this card in the rack but it takes the slot right next to the processor which is currently occuppied by an input card. My question is other than configuring the Ethernet card is there any other programming changes I will have to make to account for moving the IO slots down a slot or will they all stay the same?

Attached is a picture of the PLC for reference.

Thanks in advance,

-Luke

20130618_170933.jpg

Short answer is yes, your I/O is addressed to that slot and would need to be changed, you can use a search and replace that may work so it may not be a big deal depending on the size of the program

Also you need to check the revision and firmware of the 5/40. Not all of them can accept the sidecar.

how would you tell if it doesn't accept the side card?

Download the 1785-ENET installation & user manuals from Rockwell, if you haven't already. There's a PLC5 series/revision compatibility list in there.

Adding the ENET card forces you to sacrifice your first slot (0) but doesn't effect the addresses of the other slots. If you could move that input card from slot 0 to slot 2 (assuming 1-slot addressing), that would be your best bet.

Last edited: