Now I'm Depressed

Aabeck

I have an old SLC 13 slot rack full of 12 output cards that I have been working on for a while (when I think of something to add) that I have been programming to control LOTS of Christmas lights. I thought I was doing a good job until I found this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77DsYfyog5E

No way that's going to happen with a PLC! I think I have been wasting my time & need to find something else to do with this rack.;)

Don’t feel too bad. He’s using DMX lighting control equipment and it tends to be pretty expensive. Besides, building the PLC system is half the fun.
Mine uses two SLC’s, one 5/05 as the system master and one 5/03 as the primary light controller. They are connected to each other with a set of radio modems and I can access the system via a WiFi connection. I’m thinking of adding a PV+ but haven’t figured out exactly what I’d do with it.
On a technical note, if you’re using standard Xmas lights (not LED’s) don’t put anything more than 100 to 150 lights on any given output and be prepared to repair an output from time to time. With mine I’m using relay outputs and I’ve replaced three relays now (over the past 5 years). To be fair the cards I’m using were used and pretty old when I got them but I did measure the inrush current the strings use and while I don’t remember what it was I do remember being surprised at how high it was.
Have fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_oyacBF1mw

Fortunately the first 10 output cards are TRIAC's, only the last 2 are relay outputs & I'm no where near getting to program them yet (I'm only using a little over 1/2 the outputs so far). Guess if I get that far I'll add small contactors for those circuits, or hope I come across more TRIAC cards in panels I strip by then.

I'm not saying it hasn't been fun, just can't compare to those DMX controllers - 75,000 bulbs & a lot of the bulbs are controlled individually or small strings or sections.

Back
Top Bottom