PLC - Ethernet Queries

hygoonia

Hi everyone,

I'm working in automation department, I have some questions regarding the Ethernet Connection.

Is multiple switches can reduce the traffic load?

My connection PLC to RFID Controllers.
four PLC units -- one 16ports Switch -- eight 4port gateways -- thirty two RF controllers

By this connection, twelve ports have been used in the switch and another two ports connected to previous and next PLC panel.

The result is RF controllers return no value frequently, about 10% rate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I added in another switch, the connection become one switch connected to twenty four RF controllers and another switch connected to eight RF controllers, two PLC panels.

three PLC units -- one switch -- six gateway -- twenty eight RF controllers

one PLC unit -- one switch -- two gateway -- eight RF controllers
-- two panels

The result is RF controllers return no value rate become 0%.

Is the traffic load problem? I have checked the connection between panels, there is no loop.

"Can Multiple Switches Reduce Ethernet Traffic Load"

Yes

No

Maybe

All three are the correct answer, depending on the exact communications taking place. If you have a single bottleneck, that everything is trying to talk to, then no.
If you have basically evenly distributed traffic, then maybe.
If you have several huge bandwidth producers and consumers, then it can be Yes or No depending on your network layout.

Hi everyone,

I'm working in automation department, I have some questions regarding the Ethernet Connection.

Is multiple switches can reduce the traffic load?

My connection PLC to RFID Controllers.
four PLC units -- one 16ports Switch -- eight 4port gateways -- thirty two RF controllers

By this connection, twelve ports have been used in the switch and another two ports connected to previous and next PLC panel.

The result is RF controllers return no value frequently, about 10% rate.

I added in another switch, the connection become one switch connected to twenty four RF controllers and another switch connected to eight RF controllers, two PLC panels.

three PLC units -- one switch -- six gateway -- twenty eight RF controllers

one PLC unit -- one switch -- two gateway -- eight RF controllers
-- two panels

The result is RF controllers return no value rate become 0%.

Is the traffic load problem? I have checked the connection between panels, there is no loop.

It is entirely possible that you inadvertently replaced a switch that was failing. I've seen this happen. Ethernet switches aren't always go/no-go devices. Sometimes an aging Ethernet switch will continue to function for some time in spite of having intermittent failures.