FTView SE Alarm Messages tag data replaced with *

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've got a FTView SE application which has an alarm for low air pressure. The services PLC records the air pressure, then Line 1's PLC reads the air pressure from the services PLC, compares it with that line's air pressure requirements, and then gives an alarm along the lines of "Air Pressure Low. Required Pressure [???]kPa, Actual Pressure [???]kPa". This is done by virtue of the Associated Tags, where Tag1 is the required value, and Tag2 is the actual value. Then the message just points to "Tag1" and "Tag2"

This works fine on Line 1. I've just added in the Line 2 PLC. I've duplicated the alarm, and just modified the trigger tag and pointed Associated Tag1 and Tag2 to the relevant Line 2 PLC tags. I'm 100% sure that the addressing is correct, because I used the online tag browser to select them. Those same tags can be viewed on other pages, so there's no problem with the servers not being able to get the data. I've then used the same alarm message - seeing as Tag1 and Tag2 have been pointed to the new tags. But when the alarm comes up, I just get *** instead of the tag data (I didn't swear, I get the stars ;) )

This is not just on the air pressure alarm, it seems to be happening on all the alarms that use this setup on the new line. But the alarms on the old line work perfectly.

Can anyone suggest something I may have missed?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Okay, as it turns out, I'm an idiot o_O

I got my message numbers mixed up and there was another completely unrelated alarm triggering that same message, except, of course, it didn't have any associated tags

So for any fellow idiots in the future, the ***'s mean that there is no associated tag, but one has been called. And I worked out which alarm was calling it by selecting the message in the alarm viewer and opening the details pane.

Sometimes it is not your fault

The alarm message can show a *** without any errors on the programmers part. It appears to be true when the alarm is present and a redundant switch happens on the processors. I have tested this and I think it only happens when using a Tag for the alarm (ALMD) message. We corrected this by not using a TAG for the alarm message for all redundant systems.