How long does an energized Coil stay on after the routine it is in stops being called

Tom Kazakoff

I am using a 1769-L33 ERM CompactLogix 5333 Controller.

how long does an energized coil stay on after the routine that the coil is
in stops execution?

In this case the coil is used to stop the JSR to it.

--------[ not error]----------------------JSR A ->called first

------- ------------------------------------JSR B -> called 2nd

many other JSR's are executed here.........

Subroutine A
------[valve did not open]--------------------------( error) -> not latched, it is an OTE

Subroutine B
--------[error ?]-------------------------------------(set system fault)

I know the answer is usually one scan. Is one scan the beginning of the
ladder to the end of the ladder. The JSR occurs first in the sequence of execution, then Subroutine B, then a bunch of other routines. Will the error coil still be energized when Subroutine B is executed?

Last edited:
If subroutine A is using an OTE (I'm assuming an Allen Bradley system from your nomenclature) for 'error' and the subroutine is not called again because error is ON then, assuming 'error' is not accessed for writing any other place, 'error' will not turn off at all.

The "coil" that you refer to is nothing more than a computer memory location into which a value is saved by a computer instruction. That value will not change until another computer instruction writes a new value to it. So if you execute an OTE instruction on a true rung, a 1 will be saved and it will stay a 1 until another instruction is executed to change it. If no instruction is executed, then it will stay at the last value.

Last edited:
I agree with TConnolly and Bernie once you set the coil it would have to be unset by JSR A running with the [valve did not open] bit being cleared which with the program shown above can never happen since once you set your error OTE it locks out the JSR.

So even if you did clear the [valve did not open] bit the Routine would not scan to clear the error OTE.

I think I see your train of thought is if the Routine stops being called the bit will get cleared.
However that is not the case it will retain whatever state it was when the routine halts, in this case a permanent ON state once your [valve did not open] Bit sets it.