Vijeo Citect Future

Jayden

Hi All,

We have a section of our pant getting an automation upgrade. Part of this upgrade is introducing a SCADA system. In other parts of the plant we have 2 old Citect Scada servers (5.4 and 6.1). We would ideally like to stick with Citect on this project and also upgrade the older systems at some stage.

We are using controllogix PLC's and therefore I have some contact with the Rockwell rep who is trying to get us to convert to FTView. His argument for this is that due to the acquisition of Wonderware by Schnieder, Citect will be phased out, not supported, and we will be forced to convert to wonderware at some stage. If we are converting we should go to FTview as there is a good conversion tool.

Obviously he is trying to sell their product but I am wondering if what he is saying is a possibility. Any thoughts?

Not correct Schneider will continue to support their products. But what will happen is over time (years) they will integrate the best features of them all into 1 product. They also own a product called ClearScada.
Call your scheider rep they will show you the product road map with time lines. You can then ask them about the support life cycle.
Similar to Microsoft there will come a time when they will stop working on bug fixes for some products. So does Rockwel.

We also have a number of Citect installations, and when the news that Schneider had acquired Wonderware, we asked the same thing. We were "assured" that there were no plans to retire Citect. Of course, that was then...

It would not make a lot of sense to retire Citect based on the installed base, and forcing a change to Wonderware would probably not be a smart business decision either. GE acquired Intellution, and they still maintain and support both Intellution and Cimplicity.

It is just a personal preference (having used both) but I would definitely rather use Citect over FTView. YMMV, so pick your poison.

Just my $0.02