designations in automation companies

hi friends,
can you help me with this question, what are designations in automation industry i.e., what are the positions available in a company.

Secretary
Treasurer
CEO
CFO
Engineer
Service Technician
Peon
Janitor (or Custodian)
etc.

No different than any other Industrial business.

Yes, don't forget that secretary implies 'keeper of the secrets'.

a person, usually an official, who is in charge of the records, correspondence, minutes of meetings, and related affairs of an organization, company, association...

Secretary of state is not a clerical position.

Controls guys are usually called:

Controls Engineer
Automation Engineer
Electrical Engineer
Systems Engineer
Application Engineer
Service Engineer

Automation Tech
Controls Tech
Electrician
Service Tech

They generally mean the same thing, but adding "Service" means there is a lot of travel and Engineer = 4 year degree in engineering and Tech means you don't have the degree (or just a 2 year degree).

I've heard people explain subtle differences between the different titles, but the fact is, Company A calls the job Controls Engineer while Company B calls the same job Application Engineer and neither one has a reason for their name choice. I prefer Controls Engineer because it doesn't get confused with other professions as easily and doesn't sound like a euphemism.

Don't forget the most important guy, the last one hired that is not a relative of the owner or CEO, with no friends in high places - commonly called the Scapegoat, the guy that gets blamed when things go wrong!

Last edited:
Typically, all you high class PLC types and your ilk have forgotten to mention the company cleaner, every one has one, some have more than one, and they are just as important as any other cog in the chain, so next time you get your laptop out and start tinkering in the black arts, do not forget, the dump you took earlier was made more enjoyable by the lowly scrubber.

Badger,
You mean you still clean those on that side of the pond? Here they just wait unti the crappers get really dirty, then throw them out and bring in a new one.

Typically, all you high class PLC types and your ilk have forgotten to mention the company cleaner, every one has one, some have more than one, and they are just as important as any other cog in the chain, so next time you get your laptop out and start tinkering in the black arts, do not forget, the dump you took earlier was made more enjoyable by the lowly scrubber.

RussB did mention them

Then you get the confusing ones
4 year Engineering degree
job title is Automation Technician
job is actually Engineering (I am not allowed to do tech part, union would have a fit)