RS View Studio animation without controller

Rob S.

I am beginning a project and I want to begin working on the HMI project so I can use in meetings. I would like to show some animation of the machine i am planning on building. I am going to be using RS View Studio. I am not going to have a controller conected yet,but would like to have some animation. How can I write an expression to see animation such as a indicator on or off , or a image appear and disappear?

Thanks in advance.

if you loaded the SAMPLES that came with the software, look at the Automotive Plant for a good "moving motion" example ...

this uses a Derived Tag (Automotive Motion) to provide a number which ramps up from 0 to 100 ... the changing value is used to provide "visibility" and "position" links to move the little cars along the assembly line ...

TIP: the part that sets how fast (or how slow) the derived value gets updated is under a menu selection at the top of the Derived Tag setup screen ... that's not intuitive - but that's where it is ...

you can also position something like a Horizontal or Vertical Slider control on a screen - and manually move the slider to "write to" and change a value ... this value can then be used to move "tank level" bar graphs - and other similar animations ...

Last edited:
Check your system tags as well. There are "blinkfast" "blinkslow" tags that you can set to an indicator or animation. There is also a "seconds" tag that you can use for tank levels as well.

Should have also installed a program called Animate.exe which has all sorts of handy things for doing animation without a PLC.

Thanks JaxGTO , where would I find Animate.exe ? On the CD ? I am surprised I did not load that .

Thanks in advance

On my machine it in C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSView\Animate.exe
I think you can also download it on the AB site if you have support.
It also works well with Wonderware and RSViewME for testing.