Help to create ESD signal

shazad5444

Lifetime Supporting Member
PLC Guroos,

I need to configure an flow switch ESD signals, but all relevant instruments are in another PLC system, both PLC's are connected with each other through Ethernet. Can I use Produced/ Consumed or message instruction to generate ESD signal? I mean in between PCS and SIS PLC panels?

Does your industry allow general-purpose programmable controller devices and networks to be used in Safety-Instrumented Shutdown systems ?

Are any of these systems using GuardLogix, or any of the high-availability technologies from Rockwell like SIL2 I/O or Redundancy ? You mentioned "Produced/Consumed Tags", which is a phrase associated with Rockwell's ControlLogix family controllers.

I don't have a lot of experience with SIS systems in petrochemical applications, but if somebody told me they wanted to use sensors from a different control system in their SIS, my instinct would be to tell them no.

What sort of sensors are you using ? What sort of controllers ? What sort of I/O modules ?

And what safety standards apply to your application ?

Ken, It is Gas compression plant, I need to configure Flow switch as ESD signal on client request, to configure flow switch I need to add some other signals too, as in plant start up time there is no flow, I'm thinking to take flow transmitter signal, This flow transmitter is also installed on the same line but its signal is coming to PCS, so I want to use produced / consume take it to SIS PLC and configure with flow switch. We have Control Logix 5571, No we don't have Guard Logix or retendency in our System, Our SIS PLC system is only for shutdown signals, all other signals and alarms are coming to PCS PLC system, Both PLC are communication with each other through Ethernet.

The most important thing I learned when I took my Professional Engineer's exam was to recognize when I'm out of my area of expertise. I do discrete manufacturing systems, not oil and gas process control.

I don't know what sort of standards and requirements a gas compression plant needs for its safety shutdown system. I've worked beside a few, close enough to feel the heat from the flares, but never on the control systems inside.

But I'm pretty confident that an emergency shutdown system for a gas compression plant needs more than a general purpose logic controller and a non-redundant networked flow transmitter.

If I were in your shoes, I would appeal to a level of the company or consultants who are familiar with the process, the standards, and the risk analysis, in addition to the technology used in the programmable controllers.