RS Logix500 and RSLogix 5000 licenses

stylemismatch

It's been quite awhile since I've done much with Allen Bradley - I was using a laptop which had a floppy disk which had the activation file on it. It was possible to run the software on 2 PCs like that.

How is the activation set up with ABs software now? Is it still possible to run on 2 PCs (say my desktop and a field service tech with a laptop)?

thanks

dig out your old serial numbers - and have them handy when you call your local AB distributor ... in many cases you won't have to start out by buying "new" software - just upgrade to fresher versions at a MUCH lower price ... most people call this getting back "in support" ...

tell your distributor what you want to do - and have them set up the licenses accordingly ...

based on what you've posted so far, the dongle method is probably the "best fit" for what you're trying to do ...

tell your distributor what you want to do - and have them set up the licenses accordingly ...

based on what you've posted so far, the dongle method is probably the "best fit" for what you're trying to do ...

My distributor doesn't have a clue. All he was able to tell me was that I download the software from Rockwell/AB and they'll activate it (and I specifically asked if I need to specify anything in the ordering process to get the dongles).

well, it's been about ten or twelve years since I worked for an Allen-Bradley distributor - so maybe things have changed ...

if I were you, I'd try to politely get past the "order takers" and talk with the PLC guy ... each distributor is supposed to have one - and it was not that big a deal to type in someone's serial numbers and tell them what products they had registered - even outdated products from way-back ...

if the products were seriously out of date, then we'd have to email Allen-Bradley/Rockwell and ask for a "quote" on what it would cost the customer to update his purchases ...

anyway ...

if the distributor can't/won't help you, get in touch with Allen-Bradley/Rockwell Tech Support and see if they can track down your serial numbers for you ...

stylemismatch said:
...How is the activation set up with ABs software now? Is it still possible to run on 2 PCs (say my desktop and a field service tech with a laptop)?

A small bit of info on how it works now...

FactoryTalk Activation (FTA) now handles the software product activations. Specifically, FactoryTalk Activation Manager (FTAM). The licence files reside on the computer(s), or on the newer USB Dongle itself. The licence files are tied to a hardware Host ID, such as your computer's hard drive, its LAN adapter, or externally to a USB Dongle. The USB's unique hardware Host ID (Flex ID) is like a MAC address. So wherever the Dongle is present, FTAM can activate the products licences against the USB Host ID.

If your service tech is in the field with the USB Dongle, your desktop computer can operate for a Grace Period of 7 days without the Dongle. When they return, you can reset this period by re-plugging the USB Dongle to your computer. If they fall down a hole, your software products will fail to open after this period. You would have to reactivate the products against another hardware Host ID, such as another Dongle, or the computers hard drive or LAN adapter.

This way you need only have one copy of your software products, but also have the versatility and portability of roaming activations.

With regard to migrating from Master Disk to FactoryTalk Activation...

58144 - TechConnect contract requirements to Migrate from Master Disk to FactoryTalk Activation
Access Level: Everyone

So, if the versions you currently have are not what you want or need to use, you will most likely have to get back "in support", as Ron put it, before you can update and migrate to FTA.

Regards,
George

the main point that I tried to make - and I'm not sure that I made it - is this:

some (many/most) customers assume that since their "old" software has expired - that they need to purchase "new" software - FROM SCRATCH - at the full purchase price ...

unless things have changed (I'm not sure about that) then you shouldn't have to "start over" ... basically you should be able to have your "old" serial numbers reinstated - for a much cheaper price than just buying brand new software packages ...

please let us know how this turns out for you ... yours is a fairly common situation - and we'd like to have up-to-date answers for other members ...

So, if the versions you currently have.....

Thanks for all the good information.

I'm at a new employer who has decided to build their own control panels for the equipment we build instead of paying someone else to build panels for us. Therefore we don't currently have any software.

Thanks for all the good information.

I'm at a new employer who has decided to build their own control panels for the equipment we build instead of paying someone else to build panels for us. Therefore we don't currently have any software.

Ugh.
Even though we do the basic design and programming here for our plant, we find it much more cost effective to farm out the actual construction of the panels (and generally the detailed prints) to another company that specializes in that.

They have better vendor hardware discounts, the experience, and all of the tooling required to be efficient at assembling the panels. Often I can't touch their prices just hardware wise, and then adding in the labor, I'd come out at a deep loss.

As our corporate headquarters people state: "We are manufactures of product... NOT manufacturers of equipment"

I'm sorry then ...

I was using a laptop which had a floppy disk which had the activation file on it. It was possible to run the software on 2 PCs like that.

somehow I misinterpreted that to mean that you once HAD the software - hadn't used it in a long time - that it had "expired" - but that you still owned the software - and that you still had valid serial numbers for it ...

so back to square one ...

you need to call your Allen-Bradley distributor and ask for the purchase price ... you'll probably want to be sitting down when you hear the figure ...

good luck with your projects ...

Last edited:
Ron Beaufort;636240if the distributor can't/won't help you said:
Whichever path you take, I found the advice as stated by Ron invaluable in many instances after purchase. Long story short, I too found my rep. "less than fully informed," and he was the PLC man at the distribution Company, but Tech Support at Rockwell is golden and you will receive "techconncect" upon purchase as far as I know, which gives you access to more on the AB.COM website and a higher level of phone support. The time period of this techconnect depends on a few variables as far as I know...

Good Luck

Regards

Ron Beaufort said:
...somehow I misinterpreted that to mean that you once HAD the software - hadn't used it in a long time - that it had "expired" - but that you still owned the software - and that you still had valid serial numbers for it...

+1

Sherlock4me said:
...but Tech Support at Rockwell is golden and you will receive "techconncect" upon purchase as far as I know, which gives you access to more on the AB.COM website and a higher level of phone support. The time period of this techconnect depends on a few variables as far as I know...

That I know of, TechConnect Support contracts are not given to you free, or otherwise when you purchase software and/or hardware. They are optional.

You can purchase...

1. Self-Assist Support -

WELCOME KIT
Essential support agreement information / Support authorization number / Local support telephone number / User guide

SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE I
Software update downloads

ONLINE SUPPORT CENTER ACCESS
Knowledgebase tech notes / Interactive forums / Product notifications / Manage service tickets / Submit questions via email

2. Product Support -

All of the above plus...

REAL-TIME, PRODUCT-LEVEL PHONE SUPPORT
Standard product and programming software / Telephone and live chat support available in > 20 languages / Remote desktop troubleshooting

TRAINING ADVISOR
An online assessment tool to help you determine the knowledge of your work force and to build a tailored training plan

SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE II
Software update media / Emergency software replacement

3. System Support -

All of the above plus...

REAL-TIME, SYSTEM-LEVEL SUPPORT
Standard product and programming software / Advanced software / Proactive follow up / Single-point resolution

REMOTE ACCESS AND ALARMING OPTIONS
Remote connection to your system, providing Rockwell Automation engineers remote access to troubleshoot issues collaboratively and proactively

GENIUS WEBINARS
Extend and apply knowledge gained via access to on-demand library of online technical seminars

4. Application Support -

Separate to the above...

REAL-TIME APPLICATION-LEVEL SUPPORT
Designated support team / Dedicated telephone and email / Documentation and code familiarization / Application knowledge management / Periodic performance reviews

SURVEILLANCE AND ALARMING OPTIONS
Device and/or process monitoring and alarming at Rockwell Automation facility or remotely / Access to historical data for troubleshooting

APPLICATION-LEVEL ADMINISTRATION OPTION
Emergency backup / Performance tuning / Guaranteed field service call-out

Having had TechConnect for so long I'm not sure, but if, after a purchase, they do give you some limited access to some of the basic features above, like product updates, for a limited trial period, or other, then I am not aware of that?

Regards,
George

+1

That I know of, TechConnect Support contracts are not given to you free, or otherwise when you purchase software and/or hardware. They are optional.

You can purchase...

1. Self-Assist Support -
2. Product Support -
3. System Support -
4. Application Support -

Sure sucks when you have to BUY programming software for the hardware you've bought (many others give it away), and then when you've BOUGHT the software, you don't get any tech support "for free", even the "self-assist" option above... You don't even get access to all of their knowledgebase for free !!

IMHO we have one company that is losing market share for being "too expensive", clinging on to past customers, but losing out to new customers to someone else who can deliver hardware, software, and support at a fraction of the cost.

I'm looking at a job now, either upgrading a single-node RSViewSE application to run on a new PC, or replacing the whole lot. I know I can do the application on another HMI, their development software is free, and support is also available for free. The initial budget figures suggest the RA route would be 10 times the other solution.

you need to call your Allen-Bradley distributor and ask for the purchase price ... you'll probably want to be sitting down when you hear the figure ...

good luck with your projects ...

Yep, I've got pricing on the software.

I guess my remaining question is do I need to specify a different part number for getting software activation with a dongle? Is the dongle ordered separately? (And what part numbers do I use if either of these 2 questions is true).

thanks

And as far as AB pricing, I agree that it's totally out of hand. Paying ransom to get tech support is over the top, IMO. Hell, I remember when AB software was free.