siemenh s7 vs. Contol logix 5000

frw312

I am interested in comparing the difference between Control logix 5000 and Siemens S7 instruction sets. Does S7 have ladder instructions or an other type? Could someone point in the direction to go. thank you

S7 has Ladder, Function Block Diagram, SCL (Structured Text), STL (Statement List), S7-Graph (Sequential Flowchart)

Rockwell has all on the above except STL (I think).

Why are you comparing?

5-10 years ago, there would have been some defined and clear cut answers to that question. Siemens programmers did things one way, and Rockwell programmers did thing another.

Nowadays, both companies have made improvements/modifications over time that have incorporated each other's ideas, and have addressed at least some of their individual weak points.

The biggest differences I see now are in the supported communications protocols, and the terminology. Rockwell's main Ethernet communications bus is Ethernet/IP, whereas Siemens uses Profinet. They do essentially the same job, just different approaches.

I've been a big fan of S7 and hated my first year or so on Logix5000. What I missed in RSLogix was the fact that you could convert from STL to Ladder to FBD, which RSLogix did not support. Another thing I miss is that in S7 you can edit Function Blocks online, but AOIs can not be edited online in RSLogix. S7 gives you, the programmer, a lot of power, but it has to be used responsibly. RSlogix does not allow you that, but it does do things for you automatically, as opposed to S7.

I have grown quite fond of RSLogix in recent years.

I think this is what you are looking for:

Simatic S7 to Logix5000 Application Conversion Guide

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/logix-ap008_-en-p.pdf

If this was in reference to my post, then that is not what I meant. In S7 you can change the view between STL, FBD and Ladder logic on the fly, provided the code was written with the required NOP in STL. This is quite useful if you prefer to write in STL, but your client prefers to read/fault find in ladder or FBD.

rblunt; I see a lot of usage of S7 and I am not familiar with it as I have been a user o f Logix and modicon.

nonuke; The reference is a great help for me. I am also appreciate the other comments on the differences by experience users. I am primarily a ladder guy so that seems fairly similar briefly looking at the AB pub. How common is the structured text in usage compared to ladder? thanks