Calgary, AB -Industrial Electrical Permit ?

dmargineau

Lifetime Supporting Member
Recently, a new customer from Calgary, AB had stated:

"...This scope of work includes the preparation and initial drawing submission to the City as well as any revisions and re-submissions based on any comments received from the City. ..."

This is in regard to a 480V-1600Amp new install within an Industrial setting; the enclosures are all C-UL-US certified by the shop and all the OEM components carry the same certifications.

Is there a Calgary, AB requirement for drawings submission and the draw of a permit for an industrial job which will be performed by a Canadian/Alberta certified contractor?

I have never heard about this requirements except for Commercial or Residential.

I might be wrong...Anyone with more/local knowledge care to enlighten us?

Thanks.

James,

The panel shop is in Canada and has all the required certifications: C-UL, CSA, etc.
My question is related to the drawings submission (to whom?- City?) requirement just as when you you'd like to update the service at you residence for example.
Again, this is standard procedure for Commercial or Residential new or existing installations throughout North America and Europe, however, I have never been asked for it while within Industrial environments.

dmargineau,

I thought the panel shop might have been in the USA and I didn't want to see you get flagged during the install.

I cannot offer any other suggestions other than maybe go to the customer and ask for more information as to who you need to send the paper work to.

you might also ask the question on an electrical website such as www.mikeholt.com

regards,
james

James,

The panel shop is in Canada and has all the required certifications: C-UL, CSA, etc.
My question is related to the drawings submission (to whom?- City?) requirement just as when you you'd like to update the service at you residence for example.
Again, this is standard procedure for Commercial or Residential new or existing installations throughout North America and Europe, however, I have never been asked for it while within Industrial environments.

Here in Ontario, our electrical department's Master Electrician must draw an Electrical Safety Authority permit if we are installing panels that our sparkies are running power to.

http://www.esasafe.com/

Since our panel shop does not have enough volume to justify CSA certification, we arrange special on-site inspections of our panels for CSA approval.

Both costs we add into our proposal, $800 for CSA & $700 for ESA

Soooo....

My homework and your help returned the following conditions:

1. The enclosures/panels must have the CSA/cUA certification.

2. The contractor who will be performing the install needs to draw a provincial ESA permit AND upon completion, the installation must be inspected by said ESA authority.

Do you know what documentation is required when applying for an ESA permit?

Here in BC a permit is registered with the Safety Authority, and is applicable to any construction or modification that isn't covered by some other authority like the Mines Act.