Loop Calibrator

PLC Pie Guy

Good morning all.
I am looking to purchase a loop calibrator.
I am looking at a particular model with different options but I have one question.
What is the difference between simulating and generating when referring to Ma and 0 - 24 VDC?

Thanks

We sell this one and for the price its a great deal, we have sold a lot and have had very good feedback from them

http://www.plccable.com/milliamp-current-volt-generator-4-20-ma-0-10-vdc-epro-with-case-leads/

If you are just looking to read we have a Fluke 771 and 772 if your going to generate the signal then the 707 is a good model but I am out

Not sure if they go to 24vdc, when I needed to go to 24 I used a variable transformer

To me simulating and generating are the same

I love my fluke 772. pricey but worth it. The clamp is nice for troubleshooting without breaking the loop

The 725 is awesome but it doesn't have a milliamp clamp meter. .. Also I prefer the seperate ones for temperature and milliamps because A. If 1 fails or needs sent in for calibration I still have the other meters. B. simpler menus

A little speculative here, but I think the manufacturer is using simulate for a two-wire device where the 4-20 mA signal is loop powered external to the calibrator. Generate would be using the calibrator's own power to source the 4-20 mA signal the way a four wire device does.

I think Tom is right, many calibrators have different modes:

Read 4..20 mA - ext 24 VDC
Read 4..20 mA - while supplying 24 VDC
Simulate 4..20 mA - ext 24 VDC
Simulate 4..20 mA - while supplying 24 VDC

4..20 mA often is 0..22 mA

If you need an actual calibrator, and not just a test device, you will have to spend the money to get something traceable and calibratable.

If you just need a test device that is generally accurate, almost any meter that has the functionality you want will do.

Last edited:
+1 for the Fluke 789, can read Ma without breaking the loop.
read, simulate, source, step, + volt ac/dc, ohms, its got it all in one package.
Cost some $$$ but well worth it.

a simulator only has a control in it, thus works without battery.
in a generator a battery is added to the loop, So you wont need the power supply, and can control a sensor without any connection.