505 Workshop Porgramming Woes

becs

This machine came in a few years ago with a TI525 PLC. At that time I bought 505 Workshop to create a backup.

I am currently doing a safety upgrade to the machine where I removed the stop signals to the PLC, added guard switches and no control everything through a safety controller. I am looking to do some slight changes to the TI525 PLC to change it's original stop logic. I can go online with 505 workshop, see the active logic, but when I try to make a change and download I get this message:

"Unable to delete network data.
Illegal write to program memory (non volatile)."

I get this message when I an in program mode and try to verify the program or when I make changes to an off line program (which is verified) and then try to transfer the logic to the PLC when I go online.

Any suggestions?

From the manual, could this be the problem? Personally, most of my work is with 545's, not 525"s.

Program Storage in EEPROM

The TI525/TI535 PLCs offer the option of saving your RLL program in a
non-volatile form by downloading it to an Electrically Erasable Programmable
Read Only Memory (EEPROM; PPX:2587681–8020) integrated circuit. A
separate programming device is not necessary. Once programmed, an
EEPROM may be removed and used in any of the TI525/TI535 or SIMATIC
TI530T models, provided the program is compatible with the system’s
capabilities.
An EPROM may also be used to execute a program in a TI525 or TI535 PLC. The
program must be copied from an EEPROM described above or by an EPROM
programmer before it is installed on the TI525/TI535 CPU board.
To ensure equipment compatibility use only the EPROM model supplied by
your distributor: (PPX:2587681–8012).

So it may be an issue that I'm trying to write to the EEPROM instead of RAM? Is there a place in 505 Workshop where I can select this?

Look under PLC Utilities>PLC Operations.

On my Version 4.11, I have program source and EEPROM options at the bottom.

Good Luck!

Look under PLC Utilities>PLC Operations.

On my Version 4.11, I have program source and EEPROM options at the bottom.

Good Luck!

Yes, I saw all that, but the literature for 505 worshop (the 600+ page manual downloaded from their site) didn't explain these options and I'm kinda scared to start pushing buttons.

In PLC Operations I have two options for Program Source> EEPROM (which looks selected) and "Switch to RAM".

For EEPROM options I have:
"EEPROM to RAM"
"RAM to EEPROM"
"Erase EEPROM"

If I wasn't worried about pushing buttons that I don't know what they do I would think I should "Switch to RAM", which would hopefully allow me to make program changes, then "RAM to EEPROM" and then switch back to EEPROM.

This machine needs to be running next Tuesday though, so yesterday I made the decision to just jumper power to the PLC inputs that I was going to remove from the program. I just couldn't spend any more time f***ing around, I needed to get things running.

Unfortunately, I now how an output card on my TI525 not working correctly any more. Not sure if it decided to **** out between time and powering one and off the machine, or if there is some way I managed to do something in the software when I was trying to figure things out yesterday. I could monitor the program through Workshop yesterday, even take it from RUN to PROG and back, but that was it as far as I could tell.

Trying to see if I can get an old version of TISOFT to work right now. o_O

I understand your fear. Things sometimes go wrong even when we do everything correctly.

What you said about the commands sounds correct to me and the Ti500's seem simple enough that there shouldn't be any gotcha's but there is always some risk when doing this work with no backup spare hardware.

Good Luck!