Loading program to existing machine without computer

Contr_Conn

Looking for an idea for a cheap way to load a modified program to an existing machine.
PLC5/11 and PanelView 600 setup.

Remote site is in China - not sure if they have PC and software.
If they do have what software they use: 6200 AI or RSlogix?

Machine made 7 years ago and we have all files available "as installed", it was written in AB6200 and PB v3.70.

So far I am thinking to use ATA FLASH card for PV and EEPROM card for PLC5.
ATA card is cheap, but EEPROM is a lot of money, still cheaper than pay to someone to fly there.

Also what will happen if PLC program does not work for some reason? How they will get the old program back?

Files I have were saved during installation in 1997.
Everyone thinks that noone made any changes, but can't say this for sure.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the easiest and cheapest thing to do is a cpu module exchange. If the new program/cpu doesn't work, then they still have the old one. If it does, hang on to old one or return for credit or upgrade as spare.

Have done this with Fanuc equipment a lot, and old Koyo (etc) 305 stuph. But on the other hand, they are more reasonably priced than AB.

Regards.....casey

Replace processor is a good idea, but I don't think they will spend this money.
I am still not sure if they will buy PLC5 EEPROM memory.
They hoping that If we email program changes they will find someone to make a change, but most likely they will not.
Also I will do all changes in RSLogix. What if they don't have it? Original program done in 6200.

I'll check prices to see how much 5/11 may cost.

casey: Start driving now to get there before winter ;)

Seriously, OEM who bought my former company asked me to make some changes in the program I wrote 7 years ago - they adding another part to the machine process.

I will do only offline program change and OEM with customer will figure out how to change it. I have no plans to travel overseas to add 3-4 contacts to the ladder and one pushbutton to PV screen.

I think they will not stop machine to send processor here.
Memory or new processor will be the best option.
Especially if they can send processor back to OEM or they have a spare now.
Having extra processor will cover me if program does not work for some reason.

I am up for a road trip.

For no more than is being done, it doesn't seem worth the change, or just add a smart relay or something simple.

Another case of what is the worth of time, or convenience.

Most engineering jobs I've looked at lately want you to travl the world, and now at very good wages. So here is the ideal no travel opportunity, but someone should eat the cost of a cpu. They should have a spare in china if the machine is that important, to start with. what do they do if the output card gets fried? The porbably have a spare, and maybe not.

best regards.....casey

Last edited:
For the PLC they make a Program Storage Device that you use. This will upload a program from a PLC you have and then it can be downloaded to another PLC. The new ones can also be programmed directly from a computer I think but ours needs to pull the program from a PLC. I think it may only save to memory & not EPROM, check.

DesertDog
I don't think that this device works with PLC5, looks like it is for SLC and Micrologix

casey
I have no idea what they will do if I/O card goes down, don't know.
I will ask the guy who installed this machine, if he remebers, I just need to locate him. They definately have spares in US, they have thousands machines here and all with PLC5 as far as I know.
Monday I will try to push customer via OEM for a new processor - may be it will work.

Contr_Conn said:
Also what will happen if PLC program does not work for some reason? How they will get the old program back?

Files I have were saved during installation in 1997.
Everyone thinks that noone made any changes, but can't say this for sure.

You are right to worry! I wouldn't make the change unless I could guarantee that I had the logic for the currently running program in hand!

I absolutely would not make the assumption that no changes were made to the code installed in '97.

If they have any of the three programming packages on-site, I would think that you could get the currently executing code from a PLC-5. You wouldn't have the comments, but you can get that from your "as-installed" files.

Good luck,

Marc