Advance PLC learning material

Hi all,
I am hoping members in this site could give me some advice on moving my plc skill to the next level. something like book, habits, video and such would be helpful. I have access to PLCs and HMIs. I have been working with them for about a year now. I do fair amount of programming and troubleshoot. But it comes clear that I still leak of some industrial standard and optimization method.
I really want to become an excellent at this field and fast. Thanks in advance people.

Don't mean to take over but I have the same question. For my part I've had years of Allen Bradley PLC experience (SLC 500s and Micrologix) and HMI (Panelviews and C-Mores). Until recently my main focus Capital Equipment installations. However lately I have been doing programming more then anything else and I love it.

My question is if I want to do this professionally what do you all think is the skill I should learn next? Should I learn RS 5000? Should I learn S7? Would learning a software like RSView or Factory Talk be better? How about Fanuc Robot or vision training? Would learning a variant of C be better? What course from mere programmer to professional programmer has served you all best? Mind you this would all be on my own dime.

Thanks

Well there is not a quick fix. Books, videos, etc are good but hands on experience is your best bet. Learn to build your own control panels, do your own programming. If you have never programmed, installed then do it. You cannot beat hands on experience. If you have access to spare PLC's and HMI's then setup situations you have never done and figure out how to program it to work or if you have a ongoing issue going on at work then setup that scenario up. Just my 2 since but it has worked for me. I learn something new everyday sometimes it is what I should be doing and sometimes its not.

Learn as you work

It is extremely important to get the hands on experience to better yourself in the art of programming PLC's and HMI's . Try to master one thing at a time, do not try and over educate yourself to the point were it becomes frustrating.
I worked for many companies whom at times would place demands on the idea that you are a programmer and you should be able to program any PLC on the market. You know that is basically hog wash. As an industrial Electrician I programmed what I had to work with and educated myself along the way. If I found things so difficult I would come to this sight to find answers, ways to improve my education and techniques to learning . They have plenty of Gurus here that can give you insight to any situation.
Like I said, learn one thing at a time and try not to over extend yourself to frustration. In time you will find your answers to guide your success.

My biggest asset for learning has been being able to upgrade older PLCS at our plant with "Used" equipment from plccenter.com or ****************. Learning about all the issues that can come up with firmware revisions etc was challenging but really helped me progress. +1 for grabbing all the spare equipmnent you guys have and setting it up just to practice communicating/programming/etc. Especially factory talk view and RSview seem to be pretty critical to be able to navigate these days. The companies I have worked for have been more than accomidating allowing me to do this after I completed my other work. There's no substitute for hands on learning, which unfortunately, you just have to have the opportunity to dive in and figure it out.

And of course, the brilliant and giving people on this website who take time out of their busy day to help guys like us figure this stuff out. I know I'm not the only one who would owe these guys a beer for all the jams they helped me out of.

edit: I see one of the websites I listed that I had bought from has been asterisked out. Not sure about this? I'm probably missing something. No affiliation to either site, or trying to advertise for em, just have had good luck with their "surplus new" equipment.

Last edited: