Micrologix RS-232 communication

Papplebeast

I've got a project I'm working on where I need to communicate with a device over RS-232. The PLC is a MicroLogix 1100 and it is connected to a network via Ethernet. There is a device that the MicroLogix needs to control that has only an RS-232 connection.

I'm stuck on this problem. I've programmed a MicroLogix over RS-232 before, but I've never used the RS-232 port in this way. I've searched for documents on this issue and the search results are for what I already know, how to program a MicroLogix over RS-232. I haven't been able to find anything related to my specific issue. I must not be using the correct terms in my searches.

Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction? Just pointing me to a document that addresses this issue should be enough to get me started.

Thanks in advance.

try looking at the ASCII type instructions - AWT - ABL - ARL - etc. ...

you'll probably need to set up the RS-232 port in USER mode ...

these are just some general tips and hints until you can give us more specific data - but it's the best we can do without detailed information ...

voice of experience: use Windows HyperTerminal (or something similar) to substitute for the "device" to get you started ... it's a LOT easier to be able to read the communications on a screen - than to guess what's coming out of the MicroLogix ... once you've got the right "data stream" coming out of the port - then hook up the real "device" and continue on ...

here's a link for some code that I wrote awhile back ... see if this helps ... it's for a PLC-5 system - but the ASCII ideas should be enough to get you started ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=127188&postcount=16

good luck - offline for tonight ...

Last edited:
try looking at the ASCII type instructions - AWT - ABL - ARL - etc. ...

you'll probably need to set up the RS-232 port in USER mode ...

these are just some general tips and hints until you can give us more specific data - but it's the best we can do without detailed information ...

voice of experience: use Windows HyperTerminal (or something similar) to substitute for the "device" to get you started ... it's a LOT easier to be able to read the communications on a screen - than to guess what's coming out of the MicroLogix ... once you've got the right "data stream" coming out of the port - then hook up the real "device" and continue on ...

here's a link for some code that I wrote awhile back ... see if this helps ... it's for a PLC-5 system - but the ASCII ideas should be enough to get you started ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=127188&postcount=16

good luck - offline for tonight ...
Ron, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much. I'll be back if I run into any more roadblocks, but I think I know what I need to do, now.

Thanks, yes, you'll need those ASCII instructions. No fun but doable. Ron is right on about Hyperterm for testing.

Ron, thanks again for the advice. It is working very well. I have used PuTTy to send and receive data from the MicroLogix 1100 and that seems to be working fine the ASCII commands you mentioned. But I do have an unresolved issue. How can I verify that this data is being sent and received on the proper pins? The device I need to communicate with has the following pin configuration:

Pin 5: Signal Ground
Pin 3: Receive Data
Pin 2: Transmit Data

Is this a standard pin configuration? If not, is there a way to configure this for the MicroLogix?

As far as "User Mode" for Channel 0 is concerned, I haven't seen anything in Logix 500 that uses that term, explicitly. In the Channel Configuration, I set the Channel 0 driver to "ASCII". Is this "user mode"?

P.S. I'm using RSLogix 500 Pro 9.00.00 (CPR 9) and the controller is a MicroLogix 1100 Series B.