Way, Way OT

Soggy Canuck

Lifetime Supporting Member
In my job as a service technician I am frequently called upon to work on equipment which has non-standard control systems.
I have a printing press with a controller running on a VME bus. At it's heart is a motorola MVME-147SRF single board computer designed in the early 1990's.
The machine manufacturer, while still in business, no longer supports this product.
Is there anyone out there with any suggestions about still available resources or experience with this system?
Specifically, it has a 100mb SCSI hard drive attached which suffered a disc crash(I'm talking visible grooves ground into the disc surface), probably caused when the operators started "fixing" the 23 year CRT monitor by pounding on the side of the control cabinet.
You do have to love operators.🔨
I managed to get the system restarted by "borrowing" a hard drive from a smaller machine in a neighbouring town and letting it boot up of of it. The hard drive is only required for power-up.
I managed to cobble together a SCSI PC and attempted to clone this hard drive using Clonezilla. I couldn't seem to find any recognizable files on the "borrowed" hard drive. I'm wondering if anyone would know what OS the MVME-147SRF was most likely to have been using in the early 90's.

Just a confirmation.....of sorts. OS 9 is basically a C/C+ coding system then. I haven't touched this since school days, and we won't get into how long ago that was.:rolleyes:

Motorola also had their own version of Unix for their VME processors. System V if I remember correctly. I believe I've got some Motorola VME hardware packed away somewhere but its from the late 80s early 90s.

It appears that particular board supported a bunch of different operating systems. see spec HERE

Back
Top Bottom