Firmware upgrade Logix5550

Seyed Mohamed

If we upgrade the firmware of logix5550 controller online from v5.16 to v13 what will happen??
I dont have the back up program im trying to communicate to take the same.
Will the program get erased??
Plz clarify

Yes, when you update the firmware on the controller the program will be lost. You would need to upload the program first, and convert it to version 13. Then you can redownload it after the update. I've never done a conversion though between two such old versions so I don't know if there are any other catches that you might run into. I'm sure there are other people on the forum who have though.

-Benaiah

I tried to upload/go online with AB Logix 5550 controller i getting a notification that i need firmware v5.16 to talk with plc. As i have V20 in my laptop with windows7 64bit.
So any solution for this??

You will need to get version 5. If you have valid license information you should be able to download it from AB, though it may not run in Win7 x64.

Is it in a Solar Turbines installation ? If so, I very strongly recommend you contact Solar Turbines for direct support.

MAJOR EDIT: Human Memory Corruption recovered.

RSLogix 5000 version 2.x was an exception to the now-familar "lock-step" matching of the Logix 5000 software to a specific Major Revision of controller firmware. This was very early in the product lifecycle of the original 1756-L1 ControlLogix in 1998 and 1999.

RSLogix 5000 version 2.51 software should support all 1756-L1 version 2.x, 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x controllers, including version 5.16.

This software is so old, and the version compatibility so specialized, that it is not available to the public. You need to go directly to Rockwell Automation to get the software.

Last edited: