WinCC- Comfort - Is Datalog Running?

keithkyll

How can you tell if it's running? Do I need to open all logs first?
I have the same questions as this post. The answers here are in German, or don't help.

I have 4 buttons. Close All and Archive give me a system window.
Open All and Start Log don't.

Another question - When I get system messages, are they stored somewhere? While I was typing this, I saw a window popup. Said something about logging, but I couldn't read it in time.

In the runtime settings, it is possible to make those messages appear for longer. I think the default is 2-3 seconds, but you can choose much longer than that.

Another way is to have one of the alarm views displaying the "Alarm Buffer", and make sure it is showing the system alarms. The alarm buffer stores the last X number of alarm entries (not sure what the tech specs say, but at least 500 i think). The System alarms is anything relating to the HMI itself, so connections to the PLC, data logging, things like that.

Create a new alarm window/view.
Select Alarms > Pending and Unacknowledged alarms.
Select Alarm classes > Diagnostic events and System.
Properties > Mode > Window > Deselect Automatic display.
Create button to toggle display of this new alarm window.

On start of project, this window will output initial connection to the PLC, start of logging and some other events should they occur.
This window will show issues with logging, when users enter the wrong password, when connection to the PLC is broken, etc.

We have a daily scheduled task doing:
StopLogging (one for each logfile)
StopAllLogs
OpenAllLogs
StartLogging (one for each logfile)
In that order.

This was done because we've noticed disconnect without automatic reconnects when logs were running for several days.