S5 CPU 927 problem plz help

tareq.emzeka

hey evry one
i have this problem In the system with S5 CPU 927 it is work ok, but i try to run another four CPU 927 for backup but no one of the four are work, I used with working EPROM that work with the system to run backup CPU, but it is not work where STOP led is ON , COLD RESTART REQUIRED led is ON too and the RUN led is OFF. even after restart.
I instill the OB, PB to EPOM again by using the PG 675, after done instillation and run the system I have the same problem.
At instillation one of OB or PB not both and run the system just the Run led is ON but the system is not work,
I return the old CPU and I instillation the OB and PB it is work ok.
what is the problem here? plz help

150k.jpg

If my memory is correct, the 927 CPU is for an S5-150u system and is actually a "set" of cards: CPU, memory card and interface card. I seem to remember that these CPUs are almost custom built as a set, with many modifications made by hand. It is recommended that you change all 3 cards as a matched set.

Nick

It has been nearly 20 years since I last worked on a 150u system but my recollection is that the 3 cards should be changed as a set. Maybe someone else could confirm that?

Nick

It's some time since I used S5 but if I remember DB0 has to be setup, this is usually not in eprom, try copying all from working processor and download complete to another one, but you will probably need ram in place of eproms, I don't remember the cards have to be matched, we used to keep quite a stock of various cards for S5-150, 135 & 155, we picked the required cards to produce a working processor to use with our simulation package.
Check the error code in the Istack or is it Bstack this will give you information on where the program stopped, if it actually started scan or if there is a configuration error.

thank you parky
i can copy the program from the EPROM but i do not know how copying all from working processo by using the PG 675 plz tell me how?
and thank you

It's some time since I used S5 but if I remember DB0 has to be setup, this is usually not in eprom, try copying all from working processor and download complete to another one, but you will probably need ram in place of eproms, I don't remember the cards have to be matched, we used to keep quite a stock of various cards for S5-150, 135 & 155, we picked the required cards to produce a working processor to use with our simulation package.
Check the error code in the Istack or is it Bstack this will give you information on where the program stopped, if it actually started scan or if there is a configuration error.

thank you parky
i can copy the program from the EPROM but i do not know how copying all from working processo by using the PG 675 plz tell me how?
and thank you

How similar is S5-150K to S5-150U ?
If they are quite similar, maybe you can use the manual for S5-150U:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/attachments/21487373/S5-150U_Handbuch_d_OCR5.pdf

Apart from that, this is a very uphill battle. No manuals for S5-150K can be found except a very superficial programming manual. And all manuals for these systems are only in german, no english !
Spares are impossible, and your PG675 (with 5¼" single-sided CP/M floppies !) may also fall over any minute. When I started programming S5 with a PG675 for 25 years ago, it was already obsolete.

I think that instead of resurrecting this dinosaur, you are looking at starting the replacement ASAP.