Serial to ethernet conversion

userxyz

Hello,

I have a setup with 6 devices on ethernet and 1 device on RS232.

I have chosen for a 315 PN/DP CPU.

For the ethernet devices, that shouldn't be a problem since I have a PN port.

But for the serial device... can I avoid a CP340 card by buying a serial -> ethernet converter like moxa or westermo have ?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Kind regards,
Combo

Moxa requires a TCP/IP connection, which isn't possible with a PN port. Last time I checked. :D

It also depends on the device and usage.
We've used Moxa's for small printers with serial ports, but not for devices with heavy communication both ways.

I;ve never tried doing what you're describing, but it seems like it should work.

Moxa requires a TCP/IP connection, which isn't possible with a PN port. Last time I checked. :D

The PN ports can do TCP/IP connections, but you need to use the T_conn/send/receive blocks. It isn't automagic like profinet IO.

To me, though, sending the data through a converter instead of a CP 340 card just adds complexity, which could bite you later.

One thing to note on the CP 340 cards, is that they are limited to a max baud rate, I think around 18kbps. If you need to go faster than that, you need a cp341. I've been bitten by that before, its a pain.

I have a job I am starting in the next 3 weeks or so where the customer has told us we must place all PLC comms onto their fiber optic ring.

Therefore we have to used serial to etherent converters and ethernet to fiber converters (I haven't been able to find a serial to fiber converter).

I plan to use MOXA NPort IA5000A for serial conversion and IMC-101 for fiber conversion. This will all eventually feedback to an S7-300.

I will you know how I get on!

Do not fiddle about with expensive Moxa and Westermo stuff - here you go http://downloadt.advantech.com/Prod...t - Datasheet/ADAM-4542+_DS20140421141832.pdf - serial to fibre optic - have not used these ones but I use Adam gear all the time - have never had an issue with any of there gear at all. I regularly use there Ethernet to fibre converters - they are seamless as well. Priced a Moxa recently - $5-600 - Adam was less than $200 and it just works. These guys make great stuff from my experiences with their gear.