TIM in omron plc

reza.akbari

hello to all
I set a timer in omron plc(CPM2A) to count seconds but I have problem here!!
time in omron plc is faster than I expect ! I know TIM measures in units of 0.1 second from the Set Value but it is faster

I am waiting for your help
thanks

A couple of thoughts, since you didn't provide any details or screen shots (always helpful for better answers) :) :

1) Be sure you are using TIM and not TIMH. TIMH is a 0.01 resolution timer.

2) TIM uses a BCD value, so if you're using a constant, be sure to put a hash in front of it (e.g. 3 seconds would use #30)

Hope this helps. And welcome to the forums!

The limit of the TIM instruction in the CPM2A is 999.9 seconds (about 16-2/3 minutes). If that isn't long enough for you look at the TIML instruction. It can measure 9999 seconds or 99990 seconds,

The most common mistake with the Omron timers is not to use the constant symbol (#) in front of a number. Without this symbol the PLC will be looking for the channel for information.
In JordanCClark example:
3 seconds would use #0030
0030 is equal to channel 30 which contain a value the timer would use for the set value.

Regards,
Garry
http://www.accautomation.ca

thanks for your attention
well let me introduce my problem better with sample
imagine I have panel master and I enter time in numeric entry in DM49 .
for example I enter 40 in panel master

plc_picture.png

I expect my timer after 4 seconds goes on but it happens sooner than 4 seconds (after about 2 seconds it goes on!!)

That's because your panel is entering the value as a decimal number. As stated earlier, it needs to be in BCD (Binary Coded Decimal). In BCD, each digit is represented in a group of four bits.

Code:
decimal: 40
 binary: 0000 0000 0010 1000

0    0    4    0 
    BCD: 0000 0000 0100 0000
If you look at the binary equivalent as a BCD number, you get 28:
Code:
  0    0    2    8
0000 0000 0010 1000
See if your panel can handle BCD. Otherwise, you would need extra PLC code to convert it:

2015-04-20_5-37-01.jpg

Last edited:
JordanCClark is correct. The value is not BCD being placed in the timer.
Your panel master software should have an option to select the value type written to the PLC. (BCD, Hex, Bin etc.)
Monitor online with the Omron software. You should actually see the value set in the DM area.
Regards,
Garry
http://www.accautomation.ca

yep
JordanCClark you hit nail on the head my problem solved :)

such a nice forum...
thanks a billion from you all especially JordanCClark