DeviceNet advice.

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
[FONT=&quot]There is a guy that wants me to help him with a DeviceNet issue on a compactlogix running his autoclave. Apparently, the devicenet module got wet and he replaced it with another one. Don’t know where he got the second one, but it comes on with an error 75. I looked it up and that is a net communication error. I have never used devicenet, but am otherwise capable of talking to his PLC using ethernet and Logix5000. I don’t have a license for NetWorx or at least I don’t think I do. My question is, am I going to be able to help this guy if I go to his site? (he’s local). It sounds like I need to configure the devicenet module and I don’t really know how to do that. If this can be done with Logix5000/Studio5000, what do I need to know about the devices and their numbering in order to set it up. [/FONT]​

You need RSNetworks for devicenet to make any changes. If he is replacing with the exact same module including revision the you shouldnt have to make changes to the scanner depending on what type of module it is. All you will have to do is set the address on the new module.
Some modules however such as the devicenet serial port does require some configuration with RSNetworks.
Devicenet can be finnicky, especially when swapping out modules or moving wires. Error 75 can sometimes be corrected by disconnecting the devicenet from the scanner and connecting it again. It just resets the communication so it can start scanning again.

Thanks, I read in the 1769-SDN manual (1769-um009_-en-p.pdf) that there were 4 ways to configure it.
1 )auto with a software switch that i don't know where to find.
2) NetWorx.
3)RSLinx and
4)RSLogix5000 (no configuration info given).
Is it true that you need RSNetWorx if manual configure is required?

Was it the scanner that was damaged or a node? If it was the scanner you will have to have the old networks file which contains the scanlist and io mappings. If it was just a node you maybe able to just address it the same and plug it in.

Using RsNetworx for DeviceNet you develop/modify the DeviceNet Scanner card in the PLC. You set the scanlist and the io mappings for the devices that the "scanner" is looking at. This gets saves as a *.dnt file. In the Rs5k program, you configure that card to look at the *.dnt file you have configured in RsNetworx. When you download the entire PLC program, it looks at that linked file, and uses that configuration that is set in the *.dnt configuration file to load into the scanner. You should probably check to make sure the *.dnt file is available before you make any changes. Also, as scott.maddox has mentioned, unplugging and re-plugging the connector in has cleared the same error for myself a few times after a power cycle, So ensuring that has been done may save you a trip!