Tyring to use NPN sensor in place of PNP

Ok guys I have a machine down because of a defective prox sensor. The defective prox is a PNP and I don't have a spare, lead time for a new one is 10 days. I have a few NPN sensors of the same style. Basically I'm wondering if there is a way I can connect the NPN to make it switch the positive since that's what my plc is looking for.

Ok guys I have a machine down because of a defective prox sensor. The defective prox is a PNP and I don't have a spare, lead time for a new one is 10 days. I have a few NPN sensors of the same style. Basically I'm wondering if there is a way I can connect the NPN to make it switch the positive since that's what my plc is looking for.

Sure.
You cannot hook it up exactly as the old one.
You have to connect the output to a relay coil, and use the relay contacts for the PLC input.

Mickey provided this link a few years ago, and it still works.

http://www.theautomationstore.com/npn-pnp-devices-and-connections/

Last edited:
Since the PNP is sinking, when the prox turns on it would pull your input low.
Your PNP prox sources and can only pull your input high.

Put a pull-down resistor on your input.
Attach your PNP prox to your input.
Invert the logic in the PLC.

You will need to calculate what size and wattage resistor to use to satisfy the input's requirements.

use a resistor of about 2.5 kiloohm to get the input ON, then connect it normal way and the input should go off when active,
If you cant change program you will need an extra transistor or relay.