Help with RS5000

grider75

So, I need some help to average a scale weight in RS5000. I am bringing in a check weight value to my program to display on a panel view. The engineers want me to take this value which changes every couple minutes and average it between a certain high and low value then display this on the panel view as an average weight for the operators. I do not know how to capture these different weights to get an average. Can anyone help me out??

They would need to define average timer. store min and max while timing and do the math as often as you want to display. But I am betting they want more of a rolling average.

There was a similar post to this one a week or so back, if you're interested in trawling through the forum a little. Title was something about leak detection.

Look up the FFL and FFU instructions in the help file. They're likely the most helpful instructions for creating a rolling array of values to be averaged. Then you'll use the AVE instruction to do the calculation.

Check out the help files on those three instructions, hopefully after that you'll be able to work out what to do to get the results you want.

grider75,

This may not apply to you but I am going to mention it.
If this weight that you are displaying is for a product that is for resale, then you must use weigh scales that are certified by an authorized company.

if it is not, then I must ask what is the deviation that you are experiencing and what effect will this have on your overall process?

A few pounds can change your process outcome.
At mu current location, 5 lbs in a 45,000 lb. mix may be insignificant to you, but if its a certain chemical, it scraps the entire mix with no way to reprocess it.

regards,
james

I understand the use of the AVE instruction and can move the value to an array, but my problem now is that I need to capture the different weight values over a certain time and I have no way of triggering this when the weight value changes. I don't have an input to tell me when the value changes at the scale. Is there an instruction I can use to plug this value into and if it changes then it triggers to capture the next value?

I understand the use of the AVE instruction and can move the value to an array, but my problem now is that I need to capture the different weight values over a certain time and I have no way of triggering this when the weight value changes. I don't have an input to tell me when the value changes at the scale. Is there an instruction I can use to plug this value into and if it changes then it triggers to capture the next value?

Copy it to a DINT, and then use the DTR instruction.

How big a change is big enough to trigger a new measurement? Do you want the new weight to "settle" for a time to make sure it's stable before sampling it?

What's the process doing, and what do you want to capture about it?

Thanks for the help, I ended up doing the long way. I used a NEQ block to capture different weight reading and a counter. So I would send the value into the NEQ block if the reading was different then I would copy that and put it back in source A of the NEQ block. That way every time I see a weight change I could capture the value. I used a counter and 10 REALS to capture 10 different values then I used a CPT block to average them. Kind of works like a rolling average. Then I just have the panel view grab that value for the operator.