How to manage USB data on a S7-1512SP-1 PN

patxi

Hi everybody this is my first post, hope you can find the time to help me out here 🤞🏻

I'm developing an installation with a S7 1512SP-1 PN and two ET 200SP Slaves.
Each station manages a set of three hydraulic machines, which manage several DIs and AIs, the most important being the weight cells.

The tools we produce have USB2.0 outputs which tell the pressure applied to obtain such weights, and I'd like to have this data on the Slaves and PLC, in order to make comparisons, charts, and databases .
I found this module: 6ES7 137-6AA00-0BA0, it provides a RS-232 Port, I guess I could convert the USB cable to RS-232 and plug it in. Not really sure if the module is valid for my PLC&Slaves, my software being TIA Portal V13.

I don't really know what the next step would be as in data management, the module's .pdf says it controls 8Bytes of inputs, but I can't find more detailed info, besides a manual in German, which I don't happen to speak.

I'd greatly thank any insights on this.

That serial module for the ET200SP can communicate in 2 ways "freeport" (pure ASCII with no protocol) and 3964(R) a Siemens-specific protocol that is used mostly with legacy Siemens devices.
The 8 Bytes of inputs (and outputs) are probably just the interface between the S7 CPU and the module. For actually exchanging data there is a block in TIA "PtP_Freeport" that handles it all.

So, if your "tool" can exchange data via pure ASCII characters, then there is a chance you can communicate that way. It will not be simple.

USB as an interface in an industrial environment is very unusual. For interfacing with Siemens S7-1500 more direct ways would be Profinet, Profibus or Modbus TCP.