Multiple KUKA robots communicating with a SCADA over EtherNet/IP

normad

Hi,

I'm currently designing a system where i need to control(communicate with) multiple KUKA robots via a SCADA on a PC. I've communicated with the KUKA people and they've informed that they support the EtherNet/IP protocol.
Now i need to find a low cost(preferably free) SCADA that also has EtherNet/IP support.
To implement Ethernet/IP on a PC do i need seperate hardware or is it possible to use a standard Ethernet adapter?
Which SCADA softwares do you think i should look at?

Thanks

Hi - I would also add that you should consider using a managed Ethernet/network switch to construct your network since with an off-the-shelf 'cheap' switch you would most likely find network comms to be very slow.

With the managed Ethernet/network switch it can be configured to filter a lot of unnecessary traffic.

Thanks guys. That blog is quite resourceful and provides a detailed guideline for using modbus tcp with VB. Is there a similar guide or reference sheet that can be used with EtherNet/IP?
Secondly, in case i dont want to develop the scada on my own. What would you recommend as a cheap scalable scada?

Thanks :) i don't think android would be the ideal platform for our application. Something windows or linux based would be ideal.

My understanding of KUKA's implementation of EtherNet/IP is that it's meant for connectivity via cyclic I/O to Rockwell Automation ControlLogic family controllers.

It's not a full suite of data access and control protocols. KUKA has a bunch of different connectivity methods, including OPC and their proprietary protocols.

You need to work a lot more closely with your robot vendor to understand what kinds of data you are going to have access to and what sorts of communications drivers they support.