I Forgot!

PLC Pie Guy

So I am sitting here waiting for my L32E processor's firmware update up to V20.014. I just realized that I forgot to put the key switch to PGM from REM.
The firmware update is still going but I am worried it will not work. I am using a serial cable for comms as I don't trust the Ethernet port yet on this processor. Should I be worried about the key switch position?
It's really too late now to stop it.

Thanks

Stupid.......Stupid..... Stupid...

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry, if it couldn't do the flash, it wouldn't have started. Don't interrupt it under ANY circumstances!

And for the record, Ethernet (or even USB) are much better for flashing the Logix CPU's than a serial cable... We have a policy here to never flash with a serial cable, too many opportunities for failure.

Yeah, all is complete and well now. Though I thought I was in trouble for a moment when it wouldn't work after the firmware. Then I realized that I didn't have an end cap installed. Whew!!!

The Gods are smiling on you today!

Normally, when you do not place the keyswitch in PROGRAM mode, you should get the error message...

"Failed to begin update to the target device. The target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update."

I'm surprised you hadn't received this message?
ControlFlash should not proceed with the flash if it's still in RUN mode.

If you are using the serial port to flash the controller, always make sure the Ethernet port is unplugged from the network. You don't want unnecessary comms on the Ethernet port delaying the flash update. Lots of users forget to unplug HMIs, etc., while flashing these controllers and this can timeout a flash upgrade or severely delay it.

Also, if there are any RSWho sessions open in the background, like RSLinx, then these should be closed.

And yes, flashing through the Ethernet port is preferred over the serial port...

65540 - CompactLogix: Guide for flash upgrading firmware via EtherNet through ControlFlash
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

George.
I did get that specific error when proceeding from step one to step two and when proceeding from step2 to step 3. I hit OK and the firmware download continued. I didn't want to stop it at that point.

Thanks for the reply

The processor just needs to be in program - it does not need the key switch to be in program. You could have it in REM and just force the processor to program mode via the software.

If it is a new processor it would not matter as it would not have any firmware anyway.