Read addresses from S7-300

bas

B
Hello,

I am a informatics student from holland, and at this time, I'm doing some programming work for a division of Philips. (work in my free time)

I can do a lot of programming, but now they said: Can you please do write a program that reads some adresses from the Siemens s7-300 via the MPI protocol?

Well, I have never, ever seen a thing like that, and I don't have that PLC to test with, maybe tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

I talked to the man who knows something about it, and he said what adresses I had to read out. My PC is connected via a RS485 cable

Can you please give me a link with more information, things to take care of or something else? I hope you can help me!

Thanks in advance!

Bas Lijten
Holland

Well Bas,

Siemens guards this information as if it was the gold supply located at Forth Worth. You'll find no information about this protocol on the internet. But I happen to know that Philips has the money to pay Siemens for the disclosure of the MPI protocol (in the past I used to work for them). At some time in the past they even had projects in common. if you search this forum, you'll find some others threads asking (almost) the same question. So far nobody has been able to answer.

Kind regards,

Well Bas,

Siemens guards this information as if it was the gold supply located at Forth Worth. You'll find no information about this protocol on the internet. But I happen to know that Philips has the money to pay Siemens for the disclosure of the MPI protocol (in the past I used to work for them). At some time in the past they even had projects in common. if you search this forum, you'll find some others threads asking (almost) the same question. So far nobody has been able to answer.

Kind regards,

Dear Mr jvdcande,

I intend to use S7-300 to collect ASCII string from five Displays which can be address assigned(Displays return data on two wire Rs485 port), What Hardware/ Software should I need?
Thanks so much for your help!🍻

BR,
MHA

Last edited:
What you need

Informatics people, allways the same issues...

As far as I remember u need a CP341 rs485
You connect this thing to the S7-300 CPU, make some settings and you are ready to go.

Hello,

I am a informatics student from holland, and at this time, I'm doing some programming work for a division of Philips. (work in my free time)

I can do a lot of programming, but now they said: Can you please do write a program that reads some adresses from the Siemens s7-300 via the MPI protocol?

Well, I have never, ever seen a thing like that, and I don't have that PLC to test with, maybe tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

I talked to the man who knows something about it, and he said what adresses I had to read out. My PC is connected via a RS485 cable

Can you please give me a link with more information, things to take care of or something else? I hope you can help me!

Thanks in advance!

Bas Lijten
Holland

k

CP341 rs485

Connect from the CP341 in line to all displays. Probably an end-resistor will be needed.

You'll need to send requests to the displays to receive their ASCII strings.

Software, in the S7 library there are send and receive blocks especially for ASCII protocols.

kind regards,

G

Dear Mr jvdcande,

I intend to use S7-300 to collect ASCII string from five Displays which can be address assigned(Displays return data on two wire Rs485 port), What Hardware/ Software should I need?
Thanks so much for your help!🍻

BR,
MHA