1734-232ASC capability and purpose of 1734-ARM

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
This is my first L1 project so I am just getting a feel for the thing. I'm thinking the ML1400 is getting long in the tooth so this is the next logical progression.

Can the 1734-232ASC module be used for radio telemetry serial comms using common MSG logic or is this not that sophisticated a module? The docs say its for Barcode readers etc. so I expect its more of an AWT type of control. If not, Is there a serial interface that would work for serial comms on the L1? Like 24VAC I/O modules, I can't locate one.

And what on earth is a 1734 ARM (Address Reserve Module) used for? Its described as an address placeholder, but why would you ever need such a thing? perhaps the ability to add Optional features in a machine without having to modify the code? i.e. remove the ARM and put in whatever module the option needs?

The 1734-ARM was more important on network connections (especially DeviceNet) where mapping data was harder than just changing Slot numbers.

It simply takes up a Slot number on the POINT data bus, so that when you add a module later the other Slot numbers don't shift over and have to be re-addressed. It's generally used by OEMs who want a consistent wiring diagram and consistent addressing.

You've identified RS-232 serial communications as one of the weak points of the CompactLogix family. The 1734-xxxASC modules are made for simple ASCII strings and don't communicate over DF1.

There's a Prosoft module based on the -232ASC that will do Modbus RTU Slave, but not DF1.

I'm not sure if a 1761-NET-ENI or a Digi One IAP would serve your purposes with the CompactLogix. It's worth talking to Rockwell and Digi about.