programmable relay

um635

hello,

I am new to the forum and new to plc programming.
My experience is more with gears, belts, and pulleys.
I have a machine that feeds a web of paper through it continiously.
The only control I have now is feed speed, and on and off buttons. I want
to be able to specify a feed distance, then have the machine stop for a specified
amount of time, then feed again and stop. Repeating over and over.
Can I accomplish this with an encoder on the drive shaft going to a plc that will then
control some type of programmable relay?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks

Yes you are correct. You will need a shaft encoder to determine the distance traveled.
As for the programmable relay, you will not need one. The PLC will do anything a programmable relay will do. So it would be redundant.

I can already control the speed of the motor. I was looking to have it start and stop based upon a predetermined length.

There are several programmable relays on the market with a display option. Most of them could probably do the tasks needed without using a plc at all. To get a feel for what is available google Easy-Soft, Zelio-Soft, or Omron Zentool. There are other brands available but these have/are free software or Demo's.