Modules are showing Yellow?

shazad5444

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi friends,
I got PLC program from one of my vendor, when I connected it with my PLC system its showing modules in yellow colors with ? mark. But in actual modules are communicating with controller and I can see I all I/O's status. Please see attached picture.Can you help me to sought out what is this problem?

Modules Fault errors.jpg

Most modules that go into a ControlLogix or CompactLogix backplane have a built-in Module Profile or an Add-On Profile.

While EDS files are used for a limited number of A-B and third-party modules to create what's called an "EDS-Based AOP", this is almost certainly not the case with this project unless all of the modules are third-party special modules.

It looks more like the RSLogix 5000 installation somehow was stopped before the module profiles got installed.

The way I would troubleshoot it is by creating a new project with the same firmware revision and seeing if I can select and create modules with the same part numbers as the modules in this project.

As I mentioned above I got RS Logix from the same vendor who supplied these panels with installed ABB system Control Logix L-71. These panels were tested during FAT in the manufacturer facility and vendor shipped also same program, but I was surprised when I connected with controller there was no software installed, I downloaded provided logic, but all documents are showing that these modules were working perfect during FAT, What you think I still need to download ESD file? How to select ESD file which is compatible with my system? Can you guide me through the procedure of ESD file downloading?

Shazad,

Does this system use a 1756-L71 controller, which you described in your post above ?

The screenshot you are showing is not for a 1756-L71, it's for an older 1769-L35E.

These are different controllers with different form factors and different data buses. While they share the same programming environment, you cannot simply load a program from a 1756-L71 into a 1769-L35E.

I am also very suspicious that if a system was tested and shipped that it arrived with no program logic loaded. 1756-L71 controllers can hold their program logic indefinitely with no power applied.

There's something unusual going on.

To resolve if this is a software problem related to your installation of RSLogix 5000 or a software problem related to this one program, I recommend following my instructions on Post #3 above, to create a new project from scratch with the same I/O modules as physically exist in the machine.

... with installed ABB system Control Logix L-71. ...

Bounced the "B" key did you?
ABB and A-B; not the same companies...

It's possible that someone screwed up after the FAT test and didn't save the program file to the L1 CPU memory.

Another possibility: Did you pay your bill? :whistle:

Last edited:
The 1756-L71 has onboard flash memory to which it saves the user program after every power-down. This is not the removable SD card, but rather onboard nonvolatile memory.

The 1769-L35E doesn't. You can remove the CF card and the battery from a 1769-L35E and as soon as you shut off power the program will be lost.

Depending on which controller is actually being used, the program is was either intentionally erased from the controller, or a new controller was installed after FAT, or the battery was removed from a 1769-L35E CompactLogix for shipment.

None of that has to do with the strange I/O module profile absence, but because the OP is unclear about whether this is actually the program for the controller he's been sold, I can't speculate further. It still looks like an installation problem.

Hello Guys, sorry for mistyping and uploading not correct picture, Yes it is Allen Bradly PLC. I have two PLC panels, in one PLC Analog modules are with errors and in 2nd PLC digital modules are with errors. Screen shots are attached. What you think it is still EDS file problem?
Ken==== these PLC's have 1756-L71 controllers.

PCS.jpg SIS.jpg

Last edited:
No, I do not think it's an EDS file problem.

The modules that you showed in those screenshots as Unknown are all Analog modules, which suggests that the modules defined in the program do not have correctly installed Module Profiles on your particular RSLogix 5000 computer.

It's possible that this is a firmware revision issue, where the modules defined in the program are a newer Major Revision than the Module Profiles installed on your computer.

Or it might be that the Module Profiles for all Analog modules were not properly installed when you installed RSLogix 5000 on your computer.

Failure to install Module Profiles is not a common problem. It should not occur, and I have never seen it occur. But it's possible that the computer crashed at an inopportune time, or that you did a custom install and de-selected the Analog modules somehow. I don't know.

What are the exact part numbers and Major Revisions of the Analog modules ? You can browse them in RSLinx Classic to see if they show up there, then right-click to read the Module Properties. Or you could remove them from the rack and read the information printed on the sticker.

To determine if your computer's installation of RSLogix 5000 supports those specific modules, I would create a new test program and see if you can create one of those modules in the I/O tree.

The fact that you have a CompactLogix program that also shows missing Module definitions suggests that this is an RSLogix 5000 software installation problem. You might just want to uninstall and reinstall RSLogix 5000. If it were my system, I would at least do some simple investigation to figure out the nature of the problem before doing an uninstall/reinstall.

Ken, thank you for your support. Tomorrow I will try to investigate what is the problem, at least its confirm from you that there is no EDS file problem. Do you have any idea about some other Technics, where these modules can be hide in software?

1st picture which I attached, having same problem and I did this project two years ago, Later when it was connected with PLC all modules appeared by their self, I also observed that when I have installed Emulator 5000 in my system this problem occurs, not understanding the relation between this problem and Emulator. May be you can consider this problem from that point of view.
OSMANMOM: There is no issue with vendor payments.

Last edited:
Upon review of the posting history and the fact that this system is likely an oil and gas safety shutdown system, I have to decline to participate further in your troubleshooting project.

I recommend that you, at a minimum, get in touch with Rockwell Automation Technical Support to troubleshoot your software issues.

yes you are right that it is O&G project and it is in very initial commissioning phases, On the time of startup its vendor will come to site.
During communication through Ethernet I observed that my Ethernet is also not working with ENBT/2 and panelview terminal, I discussed with my company IT department and they stopped VPN in my machine and now my Ethernet is working.
Now I can see all I/O modules in RS Linx Classic but same problem exist in RS Logix 5000 there is yellow exclamation (?) mark on the place of all Analog input/output cards, When I right click to check its property to saying module profile or EDS file not installed, but as per my understanding if we have something wrong with EDS then it also shouldn't show up in RS Linx window.
Just one MVI56 module is with yellow exclamation (?) in RS Linx classic but same MVI56 is showing in RS Logix 5000, bit confusing how to troubleshoot? FYI: all modules are working perfect in logic and we can do loop test without any problem, looks like something wrong with my laptop Rockwell suit.
Anybody who can assist me to resolve this issue.

Hello friends, I got chance to talk with Rockwell support team. They access my computer remotely. After checking I have been told that in my RS Logix5000 module profile has been corrupted and I need to reinstall RS-Logix 5000 and need to do following activities.
uninstall all versions of RSLogix 5000. Select a complete uninstallation and remove all the Module Profiles and configuration when prompted. This includes third party AOPs as well.
Next delete Module Profile folders if found on hard drive.
C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\Module Profiles\...
C:\Program Files\RSLogix 5000 Module Profiles\...
C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles
Then Delete the Module Directory files, if remaining on hard drive.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Rockwell\ModuleDirectory.dll
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Rockwell\ModuleDirectory.xml
Reinstall RSLogix 5000 software.
Install any new Add-On Module Profiles that were not included with the specific RSLogix 5000 software.

Sharing this info it will helpful if someone has same problem. Let me know if you need any further info.