Suspicious about software

Voltimus

A brief question.

What is the difference between RSLogix 5000 "Full" Edition and Rockwell Automation's "Studio 5000"....

Is one better than the other?

I requested that my company put in the RSLogix 5000 "Full" Edition and they ended up installing "Studio 5000"....

Voltimus said:
A brief question.

I'll try and keep the "answer" brief as well.

Quick answer: Purchasing Studio 5000 should also entitle you to the previous versions of RSLogix 5000. It did not initially, but Rockwell got a clip round the ear from its customers and had to cop itself on. So have you received a DVD for the previous versions as well? If you didn't, I would get onto your Vendor to supply a copy. If you have a support contract (TechConnect), you can also use your Studio 5000 serial number to download previous versions of RSLogix 5000, as well as other versions of Studio 5000, from the Download Center.

Studio 5000 is a suite of software, but as it's new it currently only contains Logix Designer. Logix Designer is essentially RSLogix 5000 under a new name with some newer features, so you probably could say it is better in that regard. The highest and last version available for RSLogix 5000 is v20. Logix Designer was introduced at v21 and is now up to v26.

So RSLogix 5000 will support controller firmware revisions up to and including v20.

Logix Designer will support controller firmware revisions at v21 or above.

The requirement to have different versions of RSLogix 5000 to support different firmware revisions is carried through to Logix Designer. Newer controllers will require v21 and above, so you will most likely need it, if not now, then at some point in the future.

So, which you have or use depends primarily on which controller firmware revisions you need to support. If you need v20 and lower as well as v21 and above, then you will need both, and possibly at different versions. If you only require v20 or lower for now, then RSLogix 5000 v20 and lower are all you need for now.

As you probably know, you can install multiple versions of RSLogix 5000 on the one system, in Windows XP or Windows 7. But Logix Designer is only supported in Windows 7 or above.

Regards,
George

here's a tip which should help you nail down exactly which bell$ and whistle$ you have installed ... some of the components are extra add-on options which are available at an extra cost - or maybe you've got the whole "bundle" ... it's hard to tell without checking the information shown ...

help_about_more_info_2.jpg

Thanks a lot, guys. I had to recontact our IT guy to get the required revs installed, but it seems to be working fine so far.

That's what I love about the PLC bidness....always something new to get used to..