UnityProXL - Variable Export to Excel

StoltzJordan

Hello all,

Has anyone out there had any experience with exporting the variable list from a Unity Pro XL project for documentation purposes? I'd really like to be able to just export the whole table as it's shown in Unity so that I can drop it in an excel spreadsheet. I've tried selecting all the variables in the list, right clicking and then "Export Selected," but the various file type options it gives aren't particularly helpful.

The XML file definitely has all the information I need, I just wanted to see if anyone out there had encountered and solved this problem before. I don't want to spend several hours making a parsing utility from scratch (to convert this XML into some kind of CSV file) if there's already a solution out there.

Thanks!

Hello all,

Has anyone out there had any experience with exporting the variable list from a Unity Pro XL project for documentation purposes? I'd really like to be able to just export the whole table as it's shown in Unity so that I can drop it in an excel spreadsheet. I've tried selecting all the variables in the list, right clicking and then "Export Selected," but the various file type options it gives aren't particularly helpful.

The XML file definitely has all the information I need, I just wanted to see if anyone out there had encountered and solved this problem before. I don't want to spend several hours making a parsing utility from scratch (to convert this XML into some kind of CSV file) if there's already a solution out there.

Thanks!

Just right click the Variable branch in project browser, export as TXT and import to Excel to format, not sure where or how the XML file comes into it, i don't have that option ?

Thanks for the response.

I tried the txt initially, but the problem is that the text file doesn't contain any of the variable descriptor columns. The purpose of the export is to have a printed/electronic copy of the variable list for reference outside of the UnityProXL program.

And to clarify, it's actually *.XSY extension that happens to be formatted like an XML file. I also have the *.TXT , *.SCY, and *.XVM extensions as options (right click -> Export Selected) but the only one that appears to be useful is that *.XSY file.

I was looking around on google and did find some tools that are already out there for converting XML files to a CSV format-- I may be able to just use that and massage the resulting spreadsheet to suit my needs. I'll report back here with what I find out.

"I tried the txt initially, but the problem is that the text file doesn't contain any of the variable descriptor columns."

That is strange, because on txt file you should have symbol name, address, type and comment columns.

OK, if you print to PDF all that info will come out i think, highlight them all in Variable browser, select print, can then copy/paste them out into whatever you need

UnityProXL - Variable Export to Excel (is very easy to do)

Just right click the Variable branch in project browser, export as TXT and open that TXT file and copy all, go to axcel and simply do paste,
evry thing go well (right).