Siemens s400 et200s hardware faults

udtwmc

Hi all,

Hardware: siemens S400 /profibus dp/ ET200s/ IM 151-1
Software: PC using Step7 v5.4 sp2

I'm trying to add more hardware onto an existing IM151-1 but it ain't having it!

Ive successfully configured/download several I/O modules to another node on the same network so I have a fair idea with what I'm doing.
The fault arises after I download a PM-D F1 siguard, three direct motor starters and a PM-X module.

Here's some screenshots... (Couldn't post all in one go)

image.jpg

I've added on slots 7 to 11 (with 1-6 existing)

see next post...

Last edited:

image.jpg

Here's the slave diagnostics

Btw I have system and bus faults on the im151-1 (I also haven't installed power to the siguard yet)

image.jpg...

I'm getting a fault with the im151-1 (mismatch) although it's the same module and worked ok before. Also works ok after I revert to original configuration.

So what am I doing wrong? Ivd double checked part numbers with hardware catalogue.

Does this im151-1 support a Pm'd f1 siguard?? Is there something I should configure further?

Cheers

Looks to me as though node 10 is disconnected. So
With your PC on profibus using accessible modes- is 10 displayed?
Also did you put the terminator on the end of the et200s rack? The plastic end piece

Looks to me as though node 10 is disconnected. So
With your PC on profibus using accessible modes- is 10 displayed?
Also did you put the terminator on the end of the et200s rack? The plastic end piece
The errors in post #2 is typical for when the end terminator isn't installed in the ET200S rack.

Another possibility is that order of the I/O modules in the configuration doesn't match the real I/O modules.

Thanks for the response guys

yes the terminating resistor is in place on the last pmx module.

I've had dodgy IM151-'s before and don't trust siemens reliability as much as Rockwell kit (we had a batch of dodgy im151-1 which kept faulting until we replaced them with newer versions), but I've replaced this one and it's still the same fault.

I'm not back at work till Tuesday so can't try anything till then.

Why is nothing straight forward in this world 🔨

if you can think of anything else in the mean time id be very grateful for more ideas

cheers

I think you have to put one at a time in and try.
This way you can figure out which component is giving you trouble

which hardware version is IM151 and io-cards?

I had same type problems with et200sp with IM with hardware version 1.0.

I added new cards to existing io-rack, new io-cards where newer hardware version (1.1) than IM-card and old IO-cards. I configured cards to hardware with copying old card config to new place (so in hardware I had configuration to all cards with version number 1.0, but in real rack I had version 1.0 and 1.1)

When I powered rack up, it showed same errors for new cards. (Module configured, but not available), new cards not even worked when I switched old and new cards together on rack. (because harware was different version)

Problem goed away when I selected from hardware configuration V1.1 type for new one cards and leaved version 1.0 only to old cards.
(But after this I had problem that if I swapped working new and old card on rack (same card types), they both had error after swapping because firmware version was not same than configurated to slot place on hardware)

According Siemens there is little bug on IM version 1.0, all configurated cards need to be exatcly same version in real rack, newer versions cards don't work, if you have selected lower (different) hardware version on configuration. ;)

Siemens recemended to update IM hardware version to newest one

On newer IM hardware versions there is no this kind problem, so you can change card with newer hardware version to old rack (where at configuration/online project have smaller hardware version) and it will work without changing/downloadin hardware configuration.

You have ET200S, but check that hardware versions are same on real card and step7 project and which firmaware version is IM.

Last edited:
Hi all, (and thanks for the extra suggestions - the IM151-1 is 6ES7 151-1AA04-0AB0 and I've had no problems when I physically swapped it for a 6ES7-1AA05-0AB0 ...there is no firmware info??)

So, I've had a reply from siemens tech support and 'we' are still not sure what the problem is....

They first asked me if I had downloaded the FC's for the new modules such that the slave knows how to communicate with the master (I haven't done this) but that kinda threw me a bit as I didn't think there was/is a specific FC for these IM151's ET200s motor starters??....unless there is one that you guys know of? should I be telling the im151 how to communicate with the PMd-F1 & DS1 & pm-x modules?

Anyhow.... then they did acknowledge that the slave diagnostic info was indicative of the rack not 'seeing' the terminating resistor (dodgy connection?) as all slots 1-29 for node 10, even though ive only allocated 11 slots, are showing faults - hey you guys know things (y) ....so I am going to recheck for bent pins and also try downloading one module at a time.

What I wanted to ask you all is 'how' and in which order would you configure the new hardware eg: power down the im151 - connect new module - download new SDB - power up (would you disconnect the profibus cable too? Or would you first download new SDB (with everything powered and profibus connected) power down the IM151, push in new hardware and then power up again?

I don't know if there is a proper sequence to do this?

Cheers

The 1AA05 should be backwards compatible with 1AA04, so no need to update the HW configuration. But you can do just to have everything uptodate if you wish.
As far as I know, the different versions wont trigger a diagnostics entry or SF.
edit: If you do modify the HW configuration, then you have to cycle power to all nodes. The DP slaves gets their configuration from the master during power up.

I dont know of any FC for an S7-400 communicating with regular Profibus DP slaves.
Is the Profibus network connected directly to the DP port on the CPU, or via a CP module ?
On an S7-300 where you have a profibus network connected via a CP342-5, you need to use the DP_SEND and DP_RECV blocks.
However, as long as you use the integrated DP ports it wont be necessary, and for an S7-400 I believe that a profibus DP network connected via a CP integrates directly into the process image of the CPU without the need for DP_SEND or DP_RECV.

edit: My guess is that the problem is either that there was a bad connection between the IM151-1 module and the 1st power module (which was fixed by installing another IM module) or the original IM151-1 was defective.
If the IM151-1 is the last node in the profibus network (termination is on), you have to wait for a power off to swap the module. If the IM151-1 is somewhere in the middle (termination is off) you can swap the module any time.

Last edited:
Hey, just to wrap this one up...

Hadn't made it clear enough in my last post that I hadn't actually resolved this problem (I had successfully swapped the 05 on a different rack).

Anyhow... I have now resolved the problem and guess what... It was a faulty Pmd-f1 (brand new out if the pack at £120). One gets the above diagnostics if you simply remove the module from the back plane... the penny finally dropped and I managed to rob a module from a different system and it worked straight off - should have done this much earlier really but I guess because it involved altering HW configuration I had believed I was doing something wrong ... that and the erroneous suggestion by siemens tech support as to whether or not I had downloaded the function calls for these basic modules put me on a path of sadness and despair

So a couple lessons here:

1. Siemens et200s kit is ****e (n) question it before doubting yourself

2. Siemens tech support while relatively quick to respond and not totally useless have left me doubting their knowledge base

Thanks again for all your support

Regards!

Problem with an ET200M 153-4

Hi

On our plant we have a problem with one of process

We have an ET200M 153-4 and for no reason it seem like he power off or reboot by itself

we have check the power supply and everithing is ok

we have also check the diagnostic buffer and change a input card (i think for nothing)

if you have an idea let me know

Thank