PLC SCADA Question

hygoonia

Hi all, I have did some research on PLC SCADA, it seems need an another driver to communicate between them?

The setup is Omron CJ series PLC, Workstation, connection by Ethernet.

The workstation as both Server & Client.
MS Visual Studio 2013
MS SQL 2014

The background is: The previous SCADA workstation has downed, I used the backup SCADA program and installed it in the new workstation.

My problem: Is that any other additional driver to installed? As during I installing the SCADA server side, the process just set up a database in MS SQL, configure the server IP address.

Current circumstances: Can't establish to database...

Is the "SCADA program" a Visual Studio application that has been custom written for this application?

If so then do you have access to the source code? This will hopefully give you some clue as to the protocol in use (I'm not an Omron user so i don't know what is common).

Generally there will be a 3rd party IO server product that exposes controller data to other applications using OPC or DDE (or other things like named pipes that i know nothing about).

Or possibly they have included this functionality in the application if it is using modbus or something common like that, but few people roll their own drivers.

This is why documentation is so important. When you eventually figure this out, write some proper documentation!

In Visual Studio, you can go to the Data Sources (or Server Explorer) and check the connection. There is also a Test Connection button when you look at the properties of the connection

Is the "SCADA program" a Visual Studio application that has been custom written for this application?

If so then do you have access to the source code? This will hopefully give you some clue as to the protocol in use (I'm not an Omron user so i don't know what is common).

Generally there will be a 3rd party IO server product that exposes controller data to other applications using OPC or DDE (or other things like named pipes that i know nothing about).

Or possibly they have included this functionality in the application if it is using modbus or something common like that, but few people roll their own drivers.

This is why documentation is so important. When you eventually figure this out, write some proper documentation!

Thanks Saffa!
You have give me some ideas. Yes, I can access the source code which written in VB language. There is another driver called IO server and IO logic.

I stucked in the situation that IO server and IO logic unable to establish the database.

I make server and client in same PC, therefore the Client listen to the IP itself to access to server database, is this correct? I looks into IO server configuration, it listen to port 30001 as well.

In fact, I'm a intern to this company, the SCADA was written by a vendor. My scope is to transfer the system to another PC.

In Visual Studio, you can go to the Data Sources (or Server Explorer) and check the connection. There is also a Test Connection button when you look at the properties of the connection

Thanks Archie,

But the system need 5 programs to run, I still able to check the connection to the external? As the programs check each other whether running

Thanks Everyone!

I have linkup to the database, work on the connection to PLC right now. I restart the SQL service at task manager, it solved my first problem.