Allen Bradley Software

Dpuck

Hello all,

New member with a fairly long first post.

I have some limited experience with troubleshooting and making minor changes on AB products from PLC5 up to Controllogix from a "Maintenance Technician" standpoint.

I am now taking on more responsibility at a new employer and am attempting to help fill a need as a Controls Tech on top of my regular duties as a Maintenance Tech.

What I need help with, is determining what software I need to write to Allen Bradley processors. Particularly Micrologix brick units and Panelview HMI's.

What I have on hand is Panelbuilder32 V.3.82.01, and RSLogix500 Starter Pack V.7.20. Neither of these will run on my Windows7 laptop according to my local AB rep.

I believe that the free version of RSLinx, RSLogix V.9.0, and whatever the most recent version of Panelbuilder are all I need correct?

If not, what am I going to need?

Thanks in advance!

What I have on hand is Panelbuilder32 V.3.82.01, and RSLogix500 Starter Pack V.7.20. Neither of these will run on my Windows7 laptop according to my local AB rep.
If you use a program to create a Windows XP virtual computer inside your Win 7 (using a software program such as the free VMware Player), then RSLogix 500 will run. You will need a valid copy of Windows XP to load into the virtual machine.

But you are probably better off to get new versions of all the programs so that they will run on your Win 7 laptop with no extra problems. According to the Rockwell Software compatibility chart, RSLogix 500 versions 8.40, 9.00 and 9.05 will run on Win 7 Professional.

http://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/ProductReplacement.aspx?crumb=101#

Last edited:
Using VMWare was the first recommendation from a friend of mine that does controls for a living. The company IT guy turned that down immediately.

Thanks for the reply.

Why would IT turn that down? What does IT suggest?
Thousands use a VM to run Rockwell software (including your friend) - it works.

That compatibility chart is suspect, case in hand: I'm running RSL500 version 7.30.10, natively on Windows professional 64-bit, but Rockwell's compatability matrix says those two versions are not compatible.

I would go ahead and try installing them.

RSLogix500 is for programming Micrologix and SLC500 processors.
You will need Studio5000 if you are going to program for Compact or Controllogix processors.

As for the Software needed for Allen-Bradley HMIs

1)Panelbuilder32 is used for the old "Panelview" HMIs that are no longer being sold new.

2) The new "Panelview+", "Panelview+ Compact", and i believe the recently released "Panelview 800" HMIs are programmed using FactoryTalk View ME Studio.

3)The "Panelview Component" HMIs are programmed using either the free embedded web based software or using the free Connected Components Workbench software.

That compatibility chart is suspect, case in hand: I'm running RSL500 version 7.30.10, natively on Windows professional 64-bit, but Rockwell's compatability matrix says those two versions are not compatible.

I would go ahead and try installing them.

I tried, the software would not install.

Why would IT turn that down? What does IT suggest?
Thousands use a VM to run Rockwell software (including your friend) - it works.

I can't honestly answer that. It was a "not at this time" type of response. He is looking at either buying the new software or purchasing a laptop with the proper software already installed. (ebay)

Dpuck,

Where in West Tennessee?
i moved from Gibson County but still have a farm there.

The latest version of panelbuilder software is 3.83.01

regards,
james

I live south of Lexington in the tail of Henderson Co., and work in Adamsville.

You will need Studio5000 if you are going to program for Compact or Controllogix processors.

1)Panelbuilder32 is used for the old "Panelview" HMIs that are no longer being sold new.

2) The new "Panelview+", "Panelview+ Compact", and i believe the recently released "Panelview 800" HMIs are programmed using FactoryTalk View ME Studio.

3)The "Panelview Component" HMIs are programmed using either the free embedded web based software or using the free Connected Components Workbench software.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for in particular. As I said, I've never seen this side of the coin. I've always had access to a "maintenance" laptop that had the software/drivers I needed ready and waiting for me to use.

The HMI's we are using are C600 units. I called my friend earlier and he made me aware of the Connected Components Workbench software.

Thanks for the replies,
Dpuck

Last edited:
This is where IT departments get my back up. They rarely understand what you need. Forget they are there to help you find solutions to maintain the plant that pays their wage to be a roadblock.

VM software is perfect solution many ways.
-it works
-it isolates your programming software from the host system
-reduces problems with software that doesn't play nice on the same OS
-A back up can be made of the VM so when the PC dies get a new PC, install VM, open back up file
-VM software = $0.
-you already have the AB software required to do the job.
-Buying a laptop of ebay is a huge security risk (big thumbs down to IT for this idea)

I would be approaching senior management about the IT departments reluctance to help. I am Sure they will be happy to spend a couple $K on equipment and software that they already have because IT want to buy a laptop off eBay.
-Warranty issues
-Support issue
-Licensing issues (Rockwell/Windows)
-Virus

Panelview 800 are programmed using CCW not FTView ME

I agree completely with kellian. For your job, VM's are the only way forward with the rapid advancement of consumer technology, and the relatively slow advancement of industrial technology. Not to mention the thousands of uses VM's have for a well-run IT department. If your IT guy doesn't want to try VM's even now, he needs to get his head out from under his rock and either start being smart about his job, or else find a new one where he doesn't have to deal with change. I mean, buying a laptop off ebay? Shudder.

I'm lucky in that I basically manage the IT for my company (because nobody else here has enough knowledge to do it and we can't justify a full time IT guy), and so I run about a dozen VM's and basically do what I want. There was a little opposition at first from some security paranoid members of my company further up, but once they realised that my productivity was through the roof and I hadn't installed 17 viruses and had all their data stolen in a Nigerian scam, they decided to just let me run with it ;)

I should add here that last I checked, VMWare Player was only free for non-commerical use.

True VM Ware player may have that restriction. To buy a commercial version could still be a more economical option as compared to a new Laptop and Rockwell software

What about windows Virtual PC.

This is where IT departments get my back up. They rarely understand what you need. Forget they are there to help you find solutions to maintain the plant that pays their wage to be a roadblock.

VM software is perfect solution many ways.
-it works
-it isolates your programming software from the host system
-reduces problems with software that doesn't play nice on the same OS
-A back up can be made of the VM so when the PC dies get a new PC, install VM, open back up file
-VM software = $0.
-you already have the AB software required to do the job.
-Buying a laptop of ebay is a huge security risk (big thumbs down to IT for this idea)

I would be approaching senior management about the IT departments reluctance to help. I am Sure they will be happy to spend a couple $K on equipment and software that they already have because IT want to buy a laptop off eBay.
-Warranty issues
-Support issue
-Licensing issues (Rockwell/Windows)
-Virus

I'm not quite willing to throw the guy under the bus. It's a long, complicated story...

Let's say that we're all working under fairly tight constraints that don't always save money in the end...

I may try to find a copy of XP on my own and see if I can get it installed and working myself.

I am tossing out a quick guess, but if you're not the admin of your PC, you are stuck. You will get no where without admin rights. Also, Windows Home versions are often rejected for Rockwell software installs. Some version will go on Windows Home versions, others will not.

I think you can install the PLC stuff without using virtualization, and Panelbuilder32 is safe. When it comes to Factory Talk View Studio, I would never install that on the host machine of a PC that I cared about. That software is "virtual only" for me from now on. I came very close to tossing a computer down a flight of steps due to that junk trashing my registry and basically shutting me down at work for 4 days. If you want to use VM for your other softwares, that is a good move and your IT guy may have another preference other than VMWare. I worked for a company which had an agreement with Macroshaft to only run HyperV on work 'puters and it was tolerable for me. So ask the IT guy, "If not VMware, what virtualization package are you going to get me?" And "I have to be a local admin at least on this machine or you will have to come configure RSLinx drivers for me 3 or four times per day, and assist me with dozens of software installs at random times day and night."

Last edited: