Danfoss Drive Help

tmoore3

I'm using a compactLogix L35 to control a Danfoss VFD through Ethernet. What I need to know is if there is a way to read information in the drive back to the plc? Would like to display things such as rpm's, amp, ect. to on an HMI. Just can't figure out how to pull this information from drive? Have any of you done this before?

What model?
I have a site with ~40 FC302 series drives, all on E/IP.
Some to a ControlLogix, others to a CompactLogix.

Do you have it controlling already?
Dont have the source on me just now, but can get it tomorrow (NZT)
Is quite simple getting ~8 words in each direction...

Yes I have plc controling drive through ethernet. Just need to know how to get information from drive..Do I use MSG and read or use another method?

what ethernet protocol are you using? I am going to assume E/IP.
It should not matter, but does help.

How have you configured the drive to be controlled?

How have you configured the drive to be controlled?

Configured to be controled remotely by plc. Is currently running this way

This is not a valid answer to the question.
A valid answer would've been one of the following:
- Profidrive standard telegram
- PPO Type 1 Module consistent PCD
- PPO Type 1 Word consistent PCD
- PPO Type 8 Module consistent PCD
- PPO Type 8 Word consistent PCD

Standard configuration is PPO Type 3, which consists of Controlword and Reference (and Statusword and Speed)
With PPO Type 3 you cannot read any other parameters.

That list is of course only valid for Profibus connections.
THIS LINK HOWEVER, contains a similar list of configuration options for Ethernet/IP, assuming you're using a MCA 121 Ethernet/IP option.

Thanks Jeebs,
I thought the same thing (n)

tmoore3
There must be a profile in your RS5k project, that has some sort of configuration for the danfoss drive.
It does not just plug in to ethernet & the PLC knows it has to control it...

With RS5k you have to use a generic ethernet set up. You then supply the instances you need to run. In this case fc 100 instances were used. Then you can control bits directly from RS5K. Just not sure if you can pull the information I need?

If you download the latest EDS files from Danfoss website they are integrated in the hardware configuration and there is no need to use the generic setup anymore.

But the question we need answered (as Jeebs pointed out) is, what instances are you using?

Instance 100/150 only supports 2 words cyclic (in- and output)
Where as Instance 103/153 supports 10.

If you select Instance 103/153 you can set up the drive to send/recieve more data cyclic in Par. 12-21 and 12-22.

The first 2 words are locked to Control Word and Reference/Status word and Actual value. But the next 8 are free to setup from the list (not all parameters are available).
Some parameters are more that 16 bit, e.g. Motor Current, this is not a problem if you keep below 655.35A (max for 16 bit). But if you have a bigger motor you need to map the motor current twice, and when doing this you need to make sure the parameters used starts with an even index (i.e. 12-22.2 or 12-22.4). If you start with an uneven you will just get the same value twice.

For reading the parameters acyclic you need a MSG instruction.
Class is the parameter group (must be inserted in hex)
Instance is the sub group (must be inserted in dec)
Attribute is index (must be inserted in hex)

E.g. Par. 3-41 "Ramp 1 Ramp Up Time"
Class: 3 + 100 = 103 (decimal) = 67 (hex)
Instance: 41 + 100 = 141 (decimal)
Attribute: 0 + 100 = 100 (decimal) = 64 (hex)

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

I have some issues with Danfoss Add On instruction for Studio5000 with an L72, using it with an FC-202 drive with Ethernet IP adaptor MCA 121. The drive is all set up and I have added the AOI in flex form for the larger 103/153 FC instance of 10 INT Data in and Out. I can see the status word coming in on the drive tags in INT[0] and I am able to control the drive using the control word on the output int[0]. It all seems hunkydory and ready to go however the AOI does not see any status data now allow any control. Its like it cannot see those drive tags even though the instruction is pointed at them at the PCDREAD and PCDWRITE, or it is simply not "enabled" somehow even though the enabled bit is high etc. I tried this in ladder and FBD same result. Any ideas?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Sir, thanks for responding I know its an old thread;

Yes I have pointed it to the controller tags for I_O created by the drive when you install it in the IO tree, and those controller tags are working fine with the drive, comms are good.

The flex instruction is a bit beefier and yes the instructions are similar there are a few versions out there it seems. It just sits there and does not pay any intention to them, like I said they are communicating with the drive but the AOI is not seeing them, like its not being scanned by the PLC, but it is.

Should I be able to drill into the logic inside the AOI? If so I cannot do that I try and show the logic and it is blank......

Thank you
Neil

Just a thought, you seem to know your way around the rockwell PLC, but you did call the subroutine from main?

"Sadly" the AOI source code isn't published, or it wasn't back then - things may have changed since I left.

But it would also seem they did in fact update the AOI? You say it doesn't look exactly the the one in the manual I linked to?

Then you may have the more advanced AOI, it was developed by the training team and they started "giving" it to customers just before I left, so I never did get any experience with that - and come to think about it, they actually did release the source code for that.

Sadly I have lost all my old files, so I can't even try to set up a system, my license is probably also expired by now.

I have it working now.

Its a little strange but the file download featuring the AOI and instructions has been recently changed which i doubt given the date on it or the one I got was corrupted, hence I could not drill into the code of the AOI and why it didn't work.I must say there are a plethora of versions of the manual out there too which doesnt help. I was about to abandon it as I had the data working for control but gave it one last go and it worked. All it is is a load of structured text links anyway however it presents well.

One crazy thing to remember if anyone is doing these Danfoss on Ethernet IP is the control word does not work unitl bit10 within the control word (which has had about 3 different names)is set to 1. then control functions. In the AOI it is called FB_CTRL_EN.

Thanks, Neil