Koyo PLC 'Stage' system

NigelLawton

Can anyone help me re Koyo 'Stages'. I am finding these difficult to understand properly and my programmer also seems to be struggling. Does anyone know where there is a good explanation of how these work and are set up? Such details as when outputs within stages are generated and what happens when the stage exits are on my 'not clear on this' list.

We are using the DirectSoft PC development software.

I am a project manager but have come from a VB/Assembler/FORTH programming background. I find ladder logic and other aspects of PLC programming easy enough to grasp but these stages are a bit more obscure! HELP!

Thanks

Nigel Lawton

I'm haveing flashbacks! It's been 15 years or more since I've heard the word FORTH in respect to programming.. I used a Forth assembler to create a grafic simulation many years ago.

Anyway, stage programming in directsoft is like creating cells of code. The code is dead unless the stage is activated by some other code in your program. The best way to understand this is to draw a flowchart, breaking down the varoius processes/steps/stages that you need to create.

You didnt refer to the PLC model but it seems that the DL06 has the largest instruction set, (I think). Chapter 7 of the DL06 user manual has explinations and samples etc.. I would suggest going through it and it will eventually "click". There are also example programs you can download from AD's website.

Chapter 7: http://www.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/d006userm/ch7.pdf

Good luck.

One thing you have to be aware of when using Block/Stage programming is that the stage is left in the "On" state for one scan after the JMP. As long as you keep that in mind, you should do fine. I have been using Block/Stage programing for several years now and swear by it. Blocks are several stages that have been grouped together. All my programs contain Block/Stages. I like it because you can treat blocks like seperate modules that are not utilized unless turned on. Another great feature that you get from using Block/Stage programming is the Stage View. I find it to be very handy in troubleshooting the program. Let me know if you have any questions.

The 06 and the 260 share the same intruction set.

There happens to be a guide to stage programming that someone at ADC wrote to help out people getting started with stage programming. ;)

Hopefully it will help you. You can find the article here.

Or if that link doesn't work, you can find it here as well.

How about the 'Big Picture' question.

Is this the type of application that will benefit from stage programming. Machine control will. Many process control systems won't. It would be a shame to use the wrong tool for the job.

Go Forth and conquer!!!! Something from the '80s. Just kidding.