Rslogix5000 networking issues

Snap25

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm not to knowledgeable on networking yet and sometimes have issues but eventually figure them out after tinkering around for a little while.. but not this time.

We have 3 machines in a plant and they are all networked together and all the drives and pneumatic manifolds communicate via Ethernet as well. I can never go online, download, or upload with any of the processors when I plug my Ethernet in to the switch. I ping the address and everything is good and the processor shows up on rslinx but I always 1 of 2 different error messages..

First one : Error 701-8004250A "Failed to go online with the controller. Unable to open connection. All connections may be in use"

I got frustrated and unplugged the processors Ethernet going to the switch and plugged my Ethernet into the processor.. I was able to connect to it with no issues. I do know that their plant engineers go online with the programs and leave them up at times, so maybe they already had the program up and that is why i wasn't able to connect with that particular processor. Since I unplugged the processor to the switch it would boot that connection with RSlogix and enable me to connect to it? I don't know..

Second error message when I tried to connect to processor number 2:

Error 716-8004005 Failed to create project file "C:\User\ ... appdata\local\temp\rslogix5000.temp\ and so on..

I tracked that file down and it was created and everything looked good and I was authorized to "write" on the file like the help button told me to check. It also suggested that the file was being used elsewhere..

I can't help with the file access issue, but I can weigh in on the connection capacity issue because I've seen it in a couple of contexts.

The first is similar to your suspicions; there are more devices connected to the controller than the designers knew or intended, and there aren't enough CIP connection resources for the controller to communicate with an RSLogix 5000 instance.

This happens most frequently with the low-end CompactLogix because they have limited connection resources compared to a full size ControlLogix.

RSLogix 5000 sessions left open are a frequent culprit, but so are RSLinx/RSWho browses that are left open. When RSWho keeps checking on a device to see if it's still online, that takes up a CIP connection.

I've also seen this error recently on a machine that I knew wasn't overloaded: a 1756-L73 with a 1756-EN2T and only one HMI, with two CIP motion drives and two I/O adapters.

But the HMI's communication driver had a bug (or feature, dunno yet) where it kept on opening up new CIP connections without closing the existing ones, and over a few minutes the HMI ended up with 172 CIP connections, all by itself.

The first place to diagnose CIP loading is the built-in webpage of the Ethernet module or daughtercard. The communications summary and the connection list will tell you a lot about how many connections are currently made to the controller, as well as giving you a high-water mark of the maximum that have been observed since the last reboot.

Some more info adding to and confirming Ken's advice...

28272 - RSLogix 5000: Error 701-8004250A. Failed to go online with the controller - no open connection (Various Causes/Solutions)
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George