Install input module on Redundant system

Hello
I would like some guidance on the correct way to install a new input module on a redundant Control logix system using control net on a remote rack and between the processors. The processors are 5561 L6 using revision 16, the card i want to install is a 1756-IB16IF DC fast input card. Am i going to need to update the firmware for this card to work? also my main concern is the control net portion of this, once i update to a newer firmware (Rev 19 as i heard it has the least amount of issues) will i then need to update all the firmware in the control net comm cards as well? also on the Ethernet Comm cards? i am not to familiar with control net. Is there anything that i should be aware of before attempting this firmware upgrade? Thank you.