Help with a quick question

HEAVENKNOWS

Could somebody please help me with this quick question?

The input range from an analogue sensor is unsuitable. What would you do, from a safety and process point-of-view, to adjust the input level?

To be honest the wording of the question is throwing me also. This is how the question is worded in the course I am undertaking. I suppose they mean 'unsuitable' in general terms

RDRAST is giving you some good direction there...

I'd try to answer the question by answering all of the questions he just asked.

1) If the input type is unsuitable (voltage instead of current, or vice versa) how do you make it work?

2) If the values coming into the PLC are unsuitable, how do you convert them to make them suitable?

3) If the signal is not stable enough, how do you filter it?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull....

I did that in college a lot, if I did not understand what they wanted out of a question I would just make an answer for a similar question out of my head that made sense usually they gave me full or majority credit because I was at least thinking and trying to answer the question.

Here in the plant if someone came up to me and asked me that question it would immediately trigger a flag in my head that that person has no idea what they are talking about, then I would go find someone else familiar with the problem that has a clue and see what the issue really is before I spent my time figuring out a solution.

EDIT: As for the "similar question out of my head" I mentioned, they already listed a couple of potentials ones.

Last edited:
I think the question is pretty straight forward? It states RANGE, not quality or anything else.

Adjust the input range if possible, if not replace.
Recalibrate and certify the adjusted instrument.
Test the updated installation.
Check check and double check if all is good :).

Unsuitable is the ambiguous word.

There could be more to it than that, by range is the conditions of the system out of range of the sensors physical capabilities?

Is the sensor in it the wrong sensor?

Is the company using the equipment for a purpose the machine isn't actually designed to do?

It doesn't state whether this is a previously running machine that has degraded, or a new piece that isn't doing what some one thought it would when he bought it.

Who made the determination that it is the sensor, a tech, supervisor, operator?

All of these things makes a big difference on how much you take at face value "sensor is unsuitable."

That is why I would go ask someone more familiar with the issue, changing and tweaking ranges may very well be the answer or it could be more.

Yes I did answer my questions in college that way, I am not making a decision to change something unless I know more information than (basically this all that's given) sensor doesn't do what I want it to .

Last edited:
But does it not clearly state that:

input range from an analogue sensor is unsuitable

To me the wording can mean two things:
The physical side of the sensor cannot measure the needed range.
Or the analog signal from the sensor that is input to something is set to a wrong range.

It clearly states unsuitable, not why it is unsuitable. Yes those two things are correct the questions I wrote above that go further into what the problem might be.

On our work orders at the plant many of those questions are answered, machine numbers, description of problem, point of contact, and so on so the questions I listed are not typically thought of. If it is the operator saying it needs to be done, I ask what did you do and what was the result. They don't always realize that machines are complex and it may not be what it was last time.

I am not disagreeing with you :). I just think you take it a step to far ;).

But I think the question has been answered and all possible scenarios are here :).

I agree I might have taken it to far but in school they love those kind of answers, show that you can think outside the little box, It just used to annoy me when I was a tech, I was told go change this part, so I would and the changing of the part had no effect on the issue, because no one asked the questions

input range from an analogue sensor is unsuitable

To me the wording can mean two things:

It could also mean that the question relates to an attempt to connect a current sensor to a voltage analog module or vice versa.

I agree with dlweber's method. Since this is homework, declare your interpretation of the question and respond to that interpretation. If you misinterpret the instructor's intent, you should get at least partial credit.

In the real world, you go back to the source and get enough additional information to allow you to make a reasonable diagnosis. Half of the battle in troubleshooting problems on actual machinery is getting an accurate description of the problem. Often, the person reporting the problem will report his interpretation of what needs to be done rather than report the symptoms he's experiencing. I've made the point frequently that when describing a problem, people tend to blame that which they understand the least.

Thanks Steve you explained my point much better than I did.

And boneless I would hesitate from saying all possible scenarios, just when you think that a new "Never seen that $4!@ before" event pops up

I hear ya!

Thanks for the discussion! It keeps me on my toes :)!

EDIT: and some times when I went on the rants like I did in this thread a few of my instructors gave me bonus points because of the scenarios I brought up(engineering school not tech school by the way, that makes a difference)