Mitsubishi to ML1400 using G304K

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a big project coming up and one of the customer's complaints is that a telemetry panel with a ML1400 and PV300 standard does not play welll with the pump panel which has a Mitsubishi FX2N and a Mitsubishi HMI.

We are using the G304K at four other spots at this site and I was thinking of putting a G304K in place of the PV300 and using it with a Mitsubishi driver and with gateway tags to let the A/B talk to the FX2N. Then, I could make things work like the operators want and fix their complaints and only have one HMI in the room.

Right now, they have two touchscreens on adjacent panels, and the Mitsubishi HMI is mounted too high, (unless you are 6' 8"). I could get rid of it altogether and put a blanking plate over the hole.

I have not even looked in the software (Crimson 3) to see if this is possible yet. I do not have GX Developer but I do have the demo version at home. So a rough idea of the cost of the "full blown" GX Developer software would be useful info too. I told my boss "probably under a grand."

Thanks for anyone who wants to pitch in and do my homework for me while I cruise Tornado Alley from the Norman shop to the hacienda now that the hail storm has stopped.

1. Gateway blocks in a Kadet, can they handle it?
2. Price (rough estimate is fine) of GX Developer?
3. Any special cable I need for the MitsuBitcshi?

Paul.

Last edited:
1. Gateway blocks in a Kadet, can they handle it?

Have not done this with a kadet but should work

2. Price (rough estimate is fine) of GX Developer?
There is a "fx" version of GX-Developr(or the newer GX-Works2) $500-$600

3. Any special cable I need for the MitsuBitcshi?
for programming FX-USB-AW (less then $200)
for Kadet to FX2n
CBLMIT02 and a CBLADK02
also don't forget to have a way on a screen to do a StopSystem()

Finally getting back to the nuts and bolts of this job:

I got with the OEM of the pump panel and he was kind enough to release their PLC and HMI files with my signature on the right forms.

I have a folder named PLC with file extension .COW, .DMW, .PMW, .PTW and a folder marked OIT with a file extension of .dup

It appears they did the project in 2009.

I suppose it would be nice to be able to open the Mitsubishi HMI file for editing too, but I can probably figure out what I need just from the PLC logic.

So GX-Developer or GX-Works2, eh? Any preference to one over the other? What would I need for the .dup file for the HMI?

Last edited:
GX-Works2 is preferable to GX-Developer. GT Designer3 is probably the HMI software for that display.

The Kadet will be fine with the gateway blocks. Keep in mind that the FX serial driver that you're probably going to be using is limited to 9600 baud.

Okay, so now where can I buy this software?

I thought that I had located a trial version long ago but cannot locate the link. I can find part numbers for it on Mitsubishi website, but not a download link.

And about the cable...I know that git sells a lot of Mitsubishi cables, but which one for the FX2N?
http://www.plccable.com/mitsubishi/

His descriptions tell about FX series, but I want to be sure that includes the FX2N.

Thanks!
Paul

Paul
Not trying to derail your thoughts here but have thought about changing the Mitsubishi PLC out for a MicroLogix? That way they have the same PLC on both systems?

Also if you are going down to 1 HMI any chance they would let you use a G09 or G12 Graphite HMI? Pets only I have never been a big fan of the G304. To small for my eyes.

Just some thoughts.

Paul
Not trying to derail your thoughts here but have thought about changing the Mitsubishi PLC out for a MicroLogix? That way they have the same PLC on both systems?

Also if you are going down to 1 HMI any chance they would let you use a G09 or G12 Graphite HMI? Pets only I have never been a big fan of the G304. To small for my eyes.

Just some thoughts.

We are trying not to stomp on the existing pump panel too much, but we did consider both of your suggestions. In order to be competitive when bidding this project, we went for the lowest cost, and there will be 6 HMIs in total. We wanted to standardize on just one for each location. This is the only one that already has a PLC running the triplex pump panel. It does not appear to have a whole lot going on and is rarely attended, unlike most HMIs in a factory setting.

There is a new Ignition SCADA PC being installed at the main office which they'll use for most of the control. The local HMI at each booster station will only be used to monitor and make a few adjustments on infrequent occasions.

It would be cleaner in the long run to do as you suggested, but the time required to rewire everything would end up as a significant added cost, plus we cannot shut down the booster panel for more than a few minutes at a time during our installation of the new telemetry and well controls.