Help with SIemens Profinet

Hi
I have a customer who ordered a ET200S IM151-8 PN/DP
(6es7 151-8AB00-0AB0)
They've returned it saying the Profinet ports dont communicate (theyre using one connected to an OP and two connected to lamp heating controllers.
I'm trying to test this [and repair if needed], i only have a rough knowledge of siemens software and have never configured Profinet before
I'm using a CP 343-1 Lean (6gk7 343-1cx10-0xe0), Step& V5.2 SP2, connected an ehternet cable bewtween the CPU and the ET200S, and a crossover ethernet between the PC and CPU.
My first problem is, when i try to add the ET200S in Step7 its not in the list under profiNet I/o, nor can i find it elsewhere

Can anybody help? or have any advice on testing the Profinet Ports
Thanks

When you attach your laptop to the ports on the IM151-8 (nothing else attached), does the LEDs on the IM151-8 and your laptop RJ45 port light up ?

Try to ping the IM151-8 from your PC (must have matrching IP and subnet adresses), with nothing else atatched.

If ping fails, then load the STEP7 Program and open the hardware configuration of the IM151-8 PLC.
Connect your PC to the IM151-8, and nothing else. Your PC must have an IP and Subnet that matches the IP and Subnet of the IM151-8.
Then use the function PLC ... Ethernet ... Edit ethernet node.
In the dialog that appears, use the MAC Address ... Browse button.
If you can find the MAC address of the IM151-8 it is working OK, and the problem is elewhere.
If you cannot find the MAC address, the problem may be with the PC and IM151-8 not having matcing IP and Subnet addresses. You could try to insert an empty MMC card, and do a memory reset on the IM151-8. Then try to search for the MAC address again.

I have a customer who ordered a ET200S IM151-8 PN/DP
(6es7 151-8AB00-0AB0)
They've returned it saying the Profinet ports dont communicate (theyre using one connected to an OP and two connected to lamp heating controllers.
I'm trying to test this [and repair if needed], i only have a rough knowledge of siemens software and have never configured Profinet before
They have bought a raw PLC without program ?
Is that why you say you only rough knowledge of siemens ?
What is your and your companys role in this ?
I ask, because this sounds as a warranty case for Siemens or a Siemens distributor. And you shouldnt be doing any troubleshooting yourself.

Not sure, but I don't think the LEAN can work as PN master, correct me if I am wrong.

Also, S7 5.2 is pretty darn old by now, possibly the HW you use is not supported.

Lastly, if you need to "repair" something you don't know how to work, even if it wasn't broken, might be a little bit ambitious, don't you think?

Not sure, but I don't think the LEAN can work as PN master, correct me if I am wrong.

Also, S7 5.2 is pretty darn old by now, possibly the HW you use is not supported.

Lastly, if you need to "repair" something you don't know how to work, even if it wasn't broken, might be a little bit ambitious, don't you think?

did think the softwae may need updating
but i ont appreciate the quotations there buddy, if you know the fault, you can trace the cause, and repair something
i wouldnt need to know how to program something if its only fault is a power issue for instance

i'm a repair technician for a surplus company
So your company is a reseller of automation equipment.
Then there is definitely a risc that the 2nd-hand equipment was defective already when you bought it.

I think that STEP7 5.2 was very deficient with respect to everything Profinet.
Not sure if the advice I posted about seacrhing for the MAC address is even possible with that version.
v5.2 definitely does not have the IM151-8 in its hardware catalog.

Since you are new to these devices, there are probably a few things you might not know that are causing you issues. Some of these may have been hinted at or stated above.

1) The IM151-8 isn't an IO node, it is a PLC.

2) The CP343-1 LEAN cannot be a profinet controller, so it wouldn't be able to see the IM151-8, even if it were IO

3) You would need a CPU to go along with the CP343. You may have one, but you didn't mention it.

4) I'm pretty sure Step 7 5.2 is way too old. You probably need at least 5.4, the I think the current version is 5.5 SP5.

Note that if you need S7 5.2 for specific customers, you might want to install the newer S7 version on a different laptop. 5.4 and 5.5 are more or less compatible, but 5.2 and 5.5 are not.

5) If you want to try to do a scan for Profinet devices without upgrading S7, you could try the Primary Setup Tool. You might need to create a login to download it. Siemens is really picky about export restrictions, even for the software they don't charge for.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/19440762?dti=0&lc=en-US