Anyone heard of these "Barth" plc's

nice plc with PWM control, very fast.
looks like an arduino.
The BARTH PLCs are better known in Germany. We have served several applications with both STG-500 and STG-600 using the graphical micon-L software.
These tiny gadgets performes very well and they are also well engineered and designed. Our focus lies on battery powered applications in 12 and 24 V systems.

For the same money you can buy a Click PLC with similar I/O.
Even the most basic Click has 2 com ports and led indicators to show status of the I/O.
Free software too.
To me those Barth units are overpriced by 500%.

...similar price but not really a comparable product. The BARTH units are fully sealed (PU potting) with extremly low current consumption of about 2mA in run mode, I think. In addition you also have to pay for the small form factor..

I don't know for sure which protocols are supported by the STGs RS232 interface. It's made for stand-alone appications especially.