P3-550/CompactLogix

dts_inc

Anyone have any experience with using Automation Direct P3-550 as a scanner and communicating with a CompactLogix controller? I'm trying to do it but can't seem to get it right completely. Any info much appreciated.

I don't have hardware but I started playing with the software recently. Reviewing the EIP config, I would suggest you reverse the communications: Logix as scanner, and configure P3 CPU as Class1 adapter. This should work, and help has a detailed example.

The Logix won't act as an adapter, and since the P3 does not appear to take an EDS, I am not sure how to configure for consuming a tag. So for IO comms, the P3 can't be the client or scanner. Even with explicit messaging you may have trouble - you will have to read the Rockwell documentation on how to access a tag through their vendor extension... if I recall correctly, service 0x52. I don't know if the message block they provide is sufficiently flexible enough to create this message.

In summary, have the P3 as an adapter and setup the Logix as the scanner.

Thanks for the reply.

It's strange...from the P3000 side I can monitor the connection and see the string tag return "1769 L32E controller", and from 5000 I can see "Productivity PAC" in the generic enet adapter but there is always an error...invalid segment in path. Can't recall the code off the top of my head.

I will give the other configuration a shot tomorrow.

As Robert said, the easiest way is to setup the CompactLogix as the Scanner.
Help topic P259 gives a pretty good example of how to do it. The thing that always gets me is matching up the data types. If you don't, the size gets off.

You just use the Generic Ethernet Module option in RS Logix 5K and plug in the values. The first block of data in the P3-550 is Input Assembly Instance value 101, Output Assembly Instance value 102 and the Config is 1. Then you just match the sizes up.