Ignition Tips, tricks and Screens

jtashaffer

Does anyone have any examples of some screens you created. Does anyone have any tips or tricks. We just launched it at work. The flood gates are about to open.

There is a showcase thread on the Ignition forums, I can dig it up for you if you like. Inductive University is very good, have you seen its content?

1. Go through their Inductive University, they did a really good job with it
2. Make extensive use of UDTs (Universal Data Types)
3. Make extensive use of Templates
4. If you're going to use Transaction Groups, create a separate project for them this way you don't have to update your runtime project(s) when you make a change to a Transaction Group
5. Use a TagPath variable in your Templates instead of a UDT variable unless your Template will use every tag in the UDT. When you use a UDT variable the client subscribes to all the tags in the UDT even if you're not using them
6. You don't need to tell your customer "We can't do that" anymore (y)

7. join their forum. This is a great forum, but there are just a handful of us that use ignition... as opposed to everyone on the ignition forum.

I agree. Just got done doing my first Ignition Project.

Wish I would have known #6 from Tarks list before I started. My popups and screens are slow to open, but it is too late to go back. They push doing the UDT inside the templates but really didn't explain well enough how much this would impact performance on the clients.

Great software though! I have completed the credential process through the Inductive University as well.

Does anyone have some examples of any screens you created. I am working on my first one and try to come up with some Ideas

I guess not that many people are using ignition

I wouldn't say that, but posting some of those things may not quite fit various business agreements that maybe in place with a customer and/or the organization. I would love to display the app I have, but could be frowned upon.

I love the platform, wish I had more opportunity with it. They are growing and it shows (both good and bad), I want nothing to do with anyone else's package quite frankly. As mentioned, the Ignition University is outstanding, but if you really want to learn some things download the entire Ignition Demo Virtual Machine, then break it apart and see how it works.

I've learned either by going to the Ignition University, Adapting cool stuff we have done on other platforms, breaking apart their demo, and running through python tutorials on the web. I've also learned simply by just doing, oh and refining my SQL ability too.

Its a platform that is fun and exciting to work with, constantly keeps my interest and challenges me to do better and better work. As opposed to others that just make you wonder if they are just around to see if they can drive you insane.

Does anyone have some examples of any screens you created. I am working on my first one and try to come up with some Ideas

You've probably just encountered one of the not too great Ignition "features", the graphics capability; it is behind the mainstream SCADA packages, feels very crude and doesn't offer many of the bread-and-butter capabilities we've been using for quite a while when developing HMI applications.
However, Ignition is a fully functional complete SCADA package; it does everything good without quite excelling at anything; I am sure they will improve the shell once it becomes more mainstream and the services backbone becomes a finished product.

Quote: "You've probably just encountered one of the not too great Ignition "features", the graphics capability; it is behind the mainstream SCADA packages, feels very crude and doesn't offer many of the bread-and-butter capabilities we've been using for quite a while when developing HMI applications."

Please elaborate. In my opinion, Ignition is a completely different animal than the "mainstream SCADA packages". There is(or has been with me) a learning curve.
This is an Ignition screen for a press developed by one of my vendors.

press.jpg

As I stated, Ignition is a complete SCADA package, which, in my opinion, does everything good, unlike other available packages which tend to excel within one or two of the three SCADA components: Supervision, Control and Data Acquisition.
Ignition Gateway is a collection of services linked by Java developed script; it does not relate to the OS of the machine it is running on the way the other SCADA applications do since most of the latter are developed for PC Operating Systems.
Ignition graphics will be only as good as Java script is; if Java will catch up to , let's say VB for example, then the Ignition graphics will improve accordingly.

SCADA_System_For_Wind_Turbines.jpg 09_Quench.jpg navcom.jpeg

@TWS
That screen has a lot of buttons, texts and an spreadsheet-like list.
Not bad, but not much in the graphics department.

I am interested in knowing Ignitions graphics capability.
I want simple vector-based graphics, with some animations. Like dynamic color change, visibility, flashing.
Does Ignition have some kind of reusable graphical objects ? Like you can have a standard object type that you use to populate screens with some tag association to trigger animations. And when the standard object is changed, it affects all the instances of the object type ?