Powerflex 70 Fimware

halla26

Hi all quick question. Had a issue last night with swapping a powerflex 70 2.2kw drive to a powerflex 70 4kw. The 2.2 had a firmware revision of 3 while the 4kw had a firmware revision of 4. Managed to get working ok, but for curiosity sake, what is there to look out for with firmwares?

I.e. would I have issues replacing a drive with an older firmware than original? How would I get round this? Would it have to be flashed? I tried using controlflash last night but getting even get it communicating as tried fir a drive with a revision of 2 originally (we're rubbish for spares here!)

Is it connected to a PLC via a network interface?

Do you have Techconnect? Even without Techconnect, try searching the Knowledgebase at ab.rockwellautomation.com for "Powerflex 70 Firmware". I know of a few quirks, and I know that trying to use the HIM copycat feature is often not possible or will skip parameters due to firmware differences.

Its connected via Controlnet. When connected the drive had to match the drive for revision on Rslogix 5000 as changed from firmware 3, to 4.0 so this needed updating on RSlogix. After that had to reschedule using Rsnetwork due to the difference.

Yeah read on this forum about HIM copycat can miss out a lot due to the differences in revision i.e. some parameters missing etc. I heard somewhere about a firmware matrix that could look at, i.e. Which devices and peripherals work with which firmwares. For curiosity sake the question was really if had a choice between two drives, would you pick the newer firmware one or the older one? Seemed work better with the newer one last night though!