Factory Talk String List

Zykrus

Hey guys, first post here. Been lurking for a bit. I apologize if this has been asked before and I didn't use the correct search terms

I'm using Factory Talk 8 ME for a PanelView Plus 600

What I want to do:
1. Select Product
2. Upon selection product, the user would be prompted to update 4 string tags in the PLC (These same 4 tags are used for each product and updated when the product is selected.

I have currently a "Control List Selector" to select the product and 4 "String Input Enable" buttons to update the strings. I would like to automate this into one function.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. To Automate the String variables for each product selection would require the variable be a constant for each product. Meaning that if Product 1 is selected and the 4 string inputs are alway a,b,c,d. Then a simple compare of product selection and copy instructions would complete your task.
To minimize the programming rungs required to complete all possibilities then you could make a UDT of your strings and use indirect addressing to move the selections to your product tags. Make a User Defined Tag that contains String Arrays equal to the number of Products. Each String Array would be set to a length of 4. Fill out each String Array with the correct information. If you align your String Arrays with your Product Selection then you could use the Connection Tag from your Control List Selector as an Indirect Address for your UDT type tag. Then just copy UDT_Tag[productselection] to Product_Array[0] for a length of 4.

You could also try Recipe Plus, but it's confusing to learn/use.

In short:
Create one recipe file; name doesn't matter.
Add five ingredients: one integer for product selection & four strings. Names should be relevant to the operator.
Create a tag set with the PLC product select and string tags.
Create at least one data set, which is the value of the selected product and their string tags.
Create a "Unit", which is a tag and data set combined; give that a meaningful name for the operator, say "Product 1".

<<yes, that's short for recipe plus>>

It's not quite one action, but the operator would select "Product 1" from the Recipe list and then press the download button (to the PLC).